"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ebay Listing Annoyances!

Started by DavePEI, May 26, 2012, 04:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: pbghmike77 on May 29, 2012, 10:11:11 AM
The high price listings is not smart even if they are "baiting" a rookie. Sometimes its hard to find the right price point so start high and work from there. I'm waiting to see one of my listings on here... ;D  Its not always a mindset of hoping to bait a novice in, keep in mind as you have seen on here there are some collectors with deep pockets on ebay and $100 bucks is not a big deal.

Just to use an example. One seller currently has a piece of store advertisement for the telephone. It is a small desk-top sign made out of cardboard, and came from a NB General store. The seller is from the US, no names.

He is asking just about $300. It hasn't sold, and the seller has re-listed the item at the same price at least ten times without adjusting his price.

Example 2) Some time ago, someone put an NT-E1A-49 Ringer on for $225, listing it as "Eames". These are the grey plastic ringers often used with ringer-less phones. Plug the ringer into the line, plug the phone into the ringer. I emailed the seller, and told him I had recently bought 4 of them in separate auctions, and not paid over $20 for the most expensive, a buy-it now.

He emailed me back, and told me to mind my own business, and on the third re-listing sold it to an un-expecting, clueless buyer for full price. Incidentally, had that buyer looked thoroughly, at the time he bought it, he would have found another listing for the same ringer for $14.99. I feel so badly for the unsuspecting soul who bought it.

Go Tell!

Thing is, people don't complain about the good sellers like you. I have seen your auctions, and they are reasonable. But I have seen many like the two examples above, and they are just taking advantage of vulnerable buyers, nothing less and nothing more. And they operate with impunity.

Dave  
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

pbghmike77

Trust me I'm not defending stupidity. Sellers like that are conflicting to other sellers. On one hand they make sellers that are honest and fair more desirable. On the other hand they are grouped in the sellers category which we all know a few bad apples ruin the whole groups image.

I feel somewhat bad for buyers like that, but sometimes lifes lessons are expensive. Hopefully next time they will be a little more thrifty. I guess all in all its just a defense mechanism because I am a seller. I have yet to see a post on here that shows how well an item was packed or "I emailed a seller and told them about there item and they were very grateful."  

I love this site, it has been so helpful to me. Not only educating me about phones in general but gives me a great idea of how you guys wish to receive packages. I'm glad you think I'm reasonable, I'm well aware ignorance has caused me to price a few items high. Thanks for all you guys do....

twocvbloke

The thing is, there have always been sellers which say that something is worth so much and never sell it because it's not worth it, I've been to shops where they've had the same items for sale on display for years, and I'm amazed they actually stay in business from selling so little... :o

There will always be the seller who prays on ignorance to get their money, and there will always be those who are honest and genuine... :)

DavePEI

Quote from: pbghmike77 on May 29, 2012, 12:01:44 PM
I guess all in all its just a defense mechanism because I am a seller. I have yet to see a post on here that shows how well an item was packed or "I emailed a seller and told them about there item and they were very grateful."  
Actually, defending sellers is natural when you sell. After all, it is these guys that make sellers look bad though and the good sellers need to realize this. and push for effective enforcement. What form that enforcement might take, I don't know, but it is something sellers should be discussing amongst themselves. I know that it appears any time eBay has a problem, they take it out against the sellers. If eBay get complaints from both sides, sellers and buyers, they will be more likely to sit up and take notice and make the right decisions. In fact, they should be asking sellers the best way to solve problems .

But you know, in the past 12 years, I have had a lot of marvelous sellers I have bought from - I have had those who combined items to save shipping, and the first time I know about it, I see a credit to my Paypal account. I am currently dealing with one who is very upset that his drop shipper didn't notify him or myself that they were running short of an item, and that they wouldn't be able to ship my order. This guy is sincerely upset. Frankly, as he cares, he gets top rating from me. I have had those who changed the description on listings when the listings were incorrect. I usually email these guys to thank them for their wonderful service, but no-one thinks to thank them publicly. I have had sellers who packed so thoroughly, it took a half an hour or more to get into the item in the package, and I have thanked them. I even had one guy several years ago who, after I bought, saw the same item for less money, and refunded the difference without my even knowing until I saw the refund. That is rare, but guys,it occasionally happens.

So, maybe that is what we should do. When we come across a seller who does a particularly good job, we should also leave messages about how well they did. That could provide guidance to others looking for similar items.

I still think the bad sellers are in the minority on eBay, but they are there. So, getting back to the point, eBay needs to have an enforced mechanism to weed those sellers out - one that is fair to all sellers. Feedback doesn't do it, but it helps, but then you get the stupid buyers who will buy the wrong item, and it won't work for their purposes, or those who don't pay, and who the seller can't leave bad feedback for.

Nothing is perfect,but the whole system still needs a lot of work.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Doug Rose

Dave....just so you know the seller has no power with eBay at all. ZERO. Seller cannot leave feedback, unless it is positive. If there is a dispute, the seller is always found to be wrong. If the buyer doesn't want it, sellers description was not accurate. If the buyer decides not to pay, too bad for the seller. If buyer drops and breaks their new phone, it wasn't packaged properly as there is no damage to the box. Guess who loses?

One thing is very clear on eBay, seller is always wrong and buyer is always right. There is no such thing as a bad buyer, only bad sellers.

If anyone thinks it is easy selling on eBay, they have never sold on eBay. That I can guarantee you.

You would think eBay would look out after their sellers, as you cannot have a buyer, if there is nothing to sell. BUT...eBay treats their sellers like a baby treats a diaper.

I play on both sides of the eBay battle. I think I am a good buyer as well as a good seller. But to be very clear, there are just as many bad buyers as there are bad sellers.

Walk on the wild side, sell for a while on eBay.

Doug
Kidphone

DavePEI

Quote from: DavePEI on May 29, 2012, 12:32:32 PM

Actually, defending sellers is natural when you sell. After all, it is these guys that make sellers look bad though and the good sellers need to realize this. and push for effective enforcement. What form that enforcement might take, I don't know, but it is something sellers should be discussing amongst themselves. I know that it appears any time eBay has a problem, they take it out against the sellers. If eBay get complaints from both sides, sellers and buyers, they will be more likely to sit up and take notice and make the right decisions. In fact, they should be asking sellers the best way to solve problems .
I also state: "Feedback doesn't do it, but it helps, but then you get the stupid buyers who will buy the wrong item, and it won't work for their purposes, or those who don't pay, and who the seller can't leave bad feedback for."

As you can see in the quote I posted above, I am aware of some of the sellers problems. The ONLY way sellers going to get eBay to sit up and listen to their concerns is if they get together as an Association, and provide a UNITED voice. An eBay Seller's Association.  

Then I mention the fact that sellers can't leave feedback for bad buyers.

These are only items they will address with pressure from a strong association - one which I hope would also address the problem of bad sellers.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dave F

Yes, there are certainly plenty of eBay annoyances to complain about.  As both a long-time buyer and seller, I have probably encountered most of them.  If the annoyances are so severe that you can't tolerate them, the solution is clear and easy:  Just stop dealing with eBay!  It seems to me, however, that that course of action could put quite a crimp in your ability to locate new things for the collection (or to profitably dispose of unwanted items).   As I said before, the benefits far outweigh the annoyances, and that's why we keep coming back for more.  In one lazy afternoon of searching, we can see more neat stuff than could be found in a lifetime of hunting through thrift shops, flea markets and garage sales.  Even with all its warts, eBay is great; I would be lost without it.  As you all are aware, I'm still looking for some rare cards for my AUTOVON Card Dialer.  I don't know where they will ultimately come from, but I would put the odds at better than 50-50 that when I finally land some, they will have been found on eBay.  For that, I can put up with the annoyances!

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 29, 2012, 02:02:49 PM
<snip>....just so you know the seller has no power with eBay at all. ZERO. Seller cannot leave feedback, unless it is positive. If there is a dispute, the seller is always found to be wrong....

This is simply not true.  Over the years, I have been involved in several disputes as a seller and, IN EVERY CASE, eBay has ruled in my favor.

Doug Rose

<snip>....just so you know the seller has no power with eBay at all. ZERO. Seller cannot leave feedback, unless it is positive. If there is a dispute, the seller is always found to be wrong....
Quote from: Dave F on May 29, 2012, 03:29:39 PM
This is simply not true.  Over the years, I have been involved in several disputes as a seller and, IN EVERY CASE, eBay has ruled in my favor.
Dave F....I guess I should have said that I have never won a case as a seller on eBay in over 10 years of selling. The sellers I have talked with are in the same boat as I am. I am truly envious of your never losing streak as a seller. You balance off my never winning. Part of the cost of doing business on eBay.

I do agree that with all its warts, I would miss eBay dearly if it went away...Doug
Kidphone

DavePEI

I do agree that with all its warts, I would miss eBay dearly if it went away...Doug
So would we all, but hopefully they will work to correct both the buyer's and seller's problems.
Dave H.
C*NET 1-651-0001

jsowers

One way I've found to weed the bad sellers from the good is to ask questions. Not too many questions, but enough to see that the seller is willing to go to a little trouble to make the sale. If they never acknowledge your email, then forget about bidding on their auction. They're bad news. Be sure to email at least one or two days before the item ends and not within hours of the end.

I've found that a good response from the seller usually means a good experience overall. I always thank the seller for their response if I win their item. They need to know how they made the sale.

Once I asked a seller a question and casually mentioned a small mistake in her auction. She was so incensed than she banned me from bidding on not only that auction, but all of her auctions. I was the only bidder on two of them, and thought that was kind of funny that she never sold those phones because the only person who was interested she had to ban from bidding. Needless to say, I haven't tried bidding on anything else she had for sale.

Dave, you are so right about the good outweighing the bad. There is no way I could have ever gotten a tenth of what I have in my collection if I were just shopping locally. I searched thrift stores and yard sales for years and came up with very little, so I am truly thankful for eBay and what I can find on it.
Jonathan

Dave F

<snip> ... the seller has no power with eBay at all. ZERO. Seller cannot leave feedback, unless it is positive...

For what it's worth, a while ago eBay discovered that nearly all of the problems between buyers and sellers were the result of unsatisfactory performance by the seller.  Non-payment by buyers was (and continues to be) a relatively rare event.  Most people only bid on things they actually want.  Buyers were unwilling to leave honest negative feedback due to the risk of feedback retaliation by rotten-apple sellers (I found myself in this position more than once in the past).  This is why the feedback system was changed to the way it is today.  Now, a buyer can leave negative feedback for a seller when it is warranted and not be worried that he will get unfairly dinged for doing so.  The dispute process allows sellers to tell their story when a buyer does not live up to his end of the bargain.  Buyers can (and do) get suspended from eBay for continued misconduct.  Admittedly, there isn't any way that moderating transactions between millions of independent people can be perfect, but this system seems to work (mostly) adequately.

Also, remember that eBay is a for-profit entity.  As such, eBay's rules are understandably tilted toward maximizing their corporate success.  In general, this means keeping all the users happy.  Nevertheless, there will be times when "justice" falls through the cracks.  Hey, life ain't always perfect.  Consider it a cost of doing business, as you smile with satisfaction at your great phone collection.

DF

Doug Rose

Consider it a cost of doing business, as you smile with satisfaction at your great phone collection.

DF
[/quote]Dave....we are in agreement on this. When I first started collecting some 35 years ago,  I met a gentleman at a flea market. I would buy phones from him every week and he was my first mentor in telephones. Back in the day when you could get good phones, cheap! He told me, "when you really get serious about collecting telephones, you will sell them." I thought he was crazy. Then again, how many black 302s did I need?

Long before eBay was thought of, I sold my excess telephones at Flea markets, antiques stores etc. I can honestly say, when I look at my collection, it was paid for entirely by selling telephones. Before my youngest college education came to me, this is what I did. Buy any phone I could find at a reasonable price, keep the best and fix and sell the rest. When eBay arrived, it was a blessing as well as a curse. There is no more travelling and set up and I always have plenty of buyers, many repeat customers. Also the dark side. BUT the pluses out weigh the minuses ten fold. It is a lot of work and my free time is non existant.

BUT " as you smile with satisfaction at your (my) great phone collection" and my daughters education....I wouldn't want to live without eBay. It is the best second job I (we) have ever had.....Doug
Kidphone

DavePEI

Hi All:

I just realized I have another pet peeve - clockwork phones!

Huh?

One of many similar listings, here is another seen today..

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/120933157763

"Vintage Wooden Wind Up Wall Phone for Repair or Parts"

"The winder is missing along with end of the ear piece and the end of the mouth piece" I think the vendor is missing the part that goes next to the earpiece, and that his mouth piece is mounted in.!

'Nuff said!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Here I go again:

Sellers who don't know how to hang up a phone correctly, and/or who think it is cutsie to place a handset on the cradle upside-down! :)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180909388385

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180909388566

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

They are some sort of "cordless" phones anyway so the handset will probably get seperated from the base soon anyway thereby solving the "don't know how to hang up a phone" problem.   ::)

Terry