News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

North Electric Galion Arrived Today.

Started by Dan/Panther, January 02, 2010, 08:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I know it's not a 302, but I do not know the actual designation for the set.
It is in very good shape, and as of today, the best bargain I've gotten so far in my collection. $10.00, plus $13.85 Priority shipping.
Here are some photos.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

That was a great deal Dan, a straight line ringer to boot!  

HobieSport

Great deal and it looks great too. I like these Norths. Like a wide body "sideways" 302. Congrats D/P, you're starting the new year off right.
-Matt

Dan/Panther

What is the actual designation of the phone ?
D/P

LarryInMichigan

D/P,

Your definitely got a great deal on a genuine North phone in really good condition, with a complete North dial.  The only designation I have ever seen for the model was "Galion".  Are the dimensions and screw positions exactly the same as the WE302?

Larry

bingster

Dan, these have many official designations, and they all depend on the specific electrical attributes of the phone.  Since they were used by independents, they came in a bewildering array of configurations.  One of the more common types is the 7H6.  I can just make out an "H" above "ST LINE RINGER" on the base plate, and that should be part of the phone's model number.  Probably because there are so many model numbers for this phone, most people resort to just calling it "Galion" after the town where North Electric was headquartered.  I'm sure North must have had a series number or name for the general type, but I've never seen it.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Until a day or so ago the only designation I had seen was 7H6 for the Galion.  A man recently sent me some photos of one that he has and needed some help getting it properly wired.  The designation on his is 5H6.  I haven't been able to find any reference to this particular model or what the differences are from the 7H6 that we normally see.  I think his set has had some modifications.  The handset appears to be a Stromberg Carlson handset.  Also, despite the bottom reading "ST Line Ringer" I think he has a frequency ringer inside.  Although I have not been able to locate a Hz rating on the Galion ringers, this one has a clapper similar to the frequency ringer I have in a Galion where the bottom is marked 33 1/3 Hz.  The Straight Line ringers for these have a hammer type clapper---kind of looks like a sledge hammer.

First three photos are the Galion phone that this gentleman was having problems with.  I was able to help him wire it properly and it works except for the ringer.  The last photo is one I worked on with a Straight Line ringer.  You can see what I mean when I say "hammer" type clapper.  Kind of reminds me of a sledge hammer.

Unlike most ringers, the gongs do not attach to the ringer.  The gongs on the North "Galion" phone are mounted to adjustable, brackets.  The ringer sits behind them so that the clapper arm reaches between them.  When purchasing one of these straight line ringers, the gongs will not be included.

I made a posting on my blog a while back.  For those that haven't seen it here's the link:

http://www.vintagerotaryphones.com/?p=202

I put a wav file on there so the ringer can be heard.  There are also a few photos in a web album if one is interested.  These are really nice phones.  This one has an A.E. dial.

Dan/Panther

Here is just a lick and a promise cleanup to see how the Galion it might look.
D/P

BTW, What does everyone use to replace the screening inside the vents ?

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
it appears that mine has the designation of 6H6, or 6HR. I'm sure to go along with the others it's 6H6.
D/P

bingster

What was left of mine looked like black cheesecloth, so that's exactly what I used.  I shot it with some matte black spray paint, trimmed it to fit, and glued it in place.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster;
Thanks, it does look like cheesecloth.
D/P

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 05, 2010, 12:40:51 AM

BTW, What does everyone use to replace the screening inside the vents ?

I bought some fine mesh black fabric on close out a couple years ago at Jo Ann Fabrics.  I have a couple yards of it so if you need any, I can send a swatch.  It is extremely close to the original.  I also bought a pair of pinking shears, because on my AE 50 Jukebox that uses the same fabric, the original was cut using the zig-zag edge that pinking shears create.

-Bill Geurts

-Bill G

Dennis Markham

I have tried a few things.  The Galion phone has a screen with wider squares, very similar to window screen.  I bought some screening material especially for the Galion (meaning not for other phones) at my local Hardware store and it worked fine.  I took a small piece of the original screen with me and tried to match as best I could.  I also bought some fine black vinyl mesh screen to use for different vents, such as the 302 but found that the square openings were too large.

I also went to Jo Ann Fabrics and bought a yard of black chiffon which is very sheer.  For the 302 vents I have doubled it and glued it into place.  It is difficult to cut a straight edge.  Just make sure you don't stretch it while cutting.  I guess it doesn't have to be too critical.

Here are a couple photos of the Galion screen project.  I was pleased with the results.  When gluing I had to be careful to only put a "dot" of glue on the inside Bakelite.  When pulling the glue away there is often a string of fine glue.  You want to be careful not to get this on the visible screening material.  But I've seen original Galion phones with sloppy glue drippings on them.
Photos:
1: Galion "before" with missing screen.

2:  Galion - Inside view of replacement screen

3:  Galion "after" using screening material from Ace Hardware

4:  Another "finished" shot

Doug Rose

SUPERB!!! It could not look any nicer. ....Doug
Kidphone

ntophones

What a great job on the screen!
I have an AE40 in which I just left the fabric off. But, I think I'll try to find some. It seems that some of the AE40's used a kind of reddish material. We don't have a JoAnne's here, but, I guess I'll try Hobby Lobby.
I'm so glad you asked that question Dan/Panther.
--nto