"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Siemens Fg. tist 282

Started by LarryInMichigan, March 03, 2015, 10:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

ebay link

I received this curious phone today.  Unfortunately, it wasn't packed well enough, so there is now a crack in the back of the shell.  The seller offered me a 50% refund which I accepted. 

As you can see in the picture below, the diagram indicates that this phone came from Siemens in Brussels, Belgium.  The phone has had at least a couple of modifications.  Someone rather skillfully cut open a rectangular hole where the line cord entered and installed an RJ-11 connector.  Also, the dial number plate, which was probably originally plastic, was replaced with an enameled steel plate which apparently had been glued in place but came unglued.  On the diagram and at least a few of the components is the same curious purple lion stamp which was discussed a while back here: forum link.  The lettering on the dial center card follows the convention used in France.  Could this phone have been made for the French market?  Did anyone ever figure who used the lion stamp? 

Larry

unbeldi

I like the design of this phone.  These were designed for the PABX  ("Nebenstellenanlagen") systems, and not connected to the PSTN directly.

The phone is the successor of the Trommelwähler (drum dialer), which had a rotating drum instead of a finger wheel. It was a most unusual design that originated ca. 1947 by Hans Domizlaff, the marketing "genius" at Siemens, and was finally realized in the early 50s.  Siemens expected huge success with it to revive their private telephone system division, but it was rather poorly received.

Your phone is the follow-up redesign which was much more successful. It came in a few colors, gray, dark red, green, and what else ?  ... have to look

Ah they made ivory, and some two-tone models too.

These were first made in 1955, and are therefore often called the Model 55, maybe also M55.

I can see by the model numbering style on the bottom that this one was indeed not made in Germany.

I believe this design actually won some international recognition, enough that Siemens took out a design patent in the US (attached).

unbeldi

As yours was made in 1971, that puts it pretty much at the end of its run, which would be ca. 1972, at least in Germany, I don't know how much longer they were made in the foreign factories.
I see that the diagram is labeled Model 55. In Germany, at this time they already had the V62 (1962-1969), the H63 (1963-?), and the H70 (1970-).   The H70 is recognized on the outside only by the placement of the Earth button, now in the lower corner, not about the dial.

Fabius

I want one. Right now the only ones I see on eBay are in Germany and the shipping is a killer.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Partyline4

WOW!

I am really digging that drum dial!

Amazing!

unbeldi

Quote from: Partyline4 on March 04, 2015, 06:09:30 PM
WOW!

I am really digging that drum dial!

Amazing!

Yes, that is the Fgtist 264, the direct predecessor of the 282.
IIRC, Siemens only made 50 or 60 thousands of these and they go for high prices these days, especially the colors, ivory, red, green.  Blue?  Never seen one other than black, ivory, and red, but they are supposed to exist.

unbeldi

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 03, 2015, 10:19:48 PM
  Did anyone ever figure who used the lion stamp? 

Larry

The lion mark seems to show up on many of the Siemens Bruxelles phones.  I would think it is simply a mark they used in QA and they chose the coat of arms of the city.

Matilo Telephones

I love the Fg 282 and the drum dial telephone. They are quite different.

I have a later model 282 with a dial that also has an enamel number ring, glued to the dial housing. I think that is original.

About that blue Belgian stamps with the lion: I have had contact with a couple of ex ATEA (Antwerp) employees. They tell me the lion is the logo for RTT, the Belgian state telephone company.

RTT used that logo for a while, changing to the simple RTT lettering later (but still sometimes using the lion).

The stamp indicates that a certain levee/tax was payed and the telephone or the electronic part was certified for use on the Belgian public telephone network. That was mandatory for non-RTT equipment.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on March 06, 2015, 06:39:34 PM
I love the Fg 282 and the drum dial telephone. They are quite different.

I have a later model 282 with a dial that also has an enamel number ring, glued to the dial housing. I think that is original.

About that blue Belgian stamps with the lion: I have had contact with a couple of ex ATEA (Antwerp) employees. They tell me the lion is the logo for RTT, the Belgian state telephone company.

RTT used that logo for a while, changing to the simple RTT lettering later (but still sometimes using the lion).

The stamp indicates that a certain levee/tax was payed and the telephone or the electronic part was certified for use on the Belgian public telephone network. That was mandatory for non-RTT equipment.

I have that lion stamp on at least one Swiss made phone.

Larry