"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New Member from New York

Started by SIIIG, December 14, 2014, 09:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIIIG

Hello Everyone,

I initially wanted to buy an old working 3 slot payphone to put in my home bar as a conversation piece. So I ended up finding a "working"  Western Electric 3 slot coin payphone and bought it. However, once I opened it up I noticed that it was pieced together with different parts from different phones. Typical newbie mistake, but I was just excited to get a nice looking payphone and I had no idea what I was buying.

Initially It didn't really bother me as the phone did work and looked fine, but the more I researched about 3 slot coin pay phones the more interested I became in learning everything about them.  So began my payphone obsession/addiction.

I'm mostly interested in Western Electric 3 slot pay phones and my current collection consists of a Western Electric 236GX,  a Western Electric  236G and A Western Electric 191G.

Once I had some pay phones I thought wouldn't  a phone booth be kinda nice to have so that I could put it next to my bar. So my search began for a phone booth. Eventually I ended up finding a 1930's (?) Western Electric Oak Phone booth within driving distance from my house so I bought that too.

I'm hoping some members could help me with trying to figure out what year my phone booth is. The seller told me that they believe that it was made in 1929. They ended up painting the tin inside and putting a coat of polyurethane on the outside of it. Also does anyone know what color the tin paneling is suppose to be, they painted it a beige type color.

I will post more in the Phone booth section. Thanks to all the forum members who have contributed to the forum. Your knowledge and willingness to share information and your experience is greatly appreciated by a newbie such as me.

Sal