"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Henry Dreyfuss Writing on The Telephone

Started by HobieSport, May 01, 2009, 02:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Quote from: AtomicEraTom
Ironically, the person that hit me was my gym teacher, and is now a driver's ed teacher, and also ran my friend's moped off the road.  It was a sad ending to a georgous car.

That is sad!  And you still have a hurt back from it and he passed his driving test to become a driver's ed teacher ??? :P

I do love the Bel Airs.  Dreyfuss may have fussed about them but hey...what's not to like. It brings back nostalgic memories that I never even had. ;)

AET

Definately not something that Dreyfuss would have liked in my eyes. 

I'm sitting here cracking my back right now as I right this ironically.  And he was a she, and even worse, from my Hometown 40 miles from here, making things even worse because the wreck was heard about in two towns. 

I am a style over function guy with my cars.  I did like the bench seats though, like couches, glad my wagon has them too.  I drive newer stock as far as a daily driver, with my wagon, even though it's still pre-airbags.  It does have seatbelts.  And Power Windows, Seats, Locks, and A/C! OH the luxury of 1987! 

One of my best friends drives a 68 Chevy Truck with the gas tank in the back, but it does have lap belts.  I rode in that bad-boy today. My mom's 52 Ford Truck also has the tank in the back behind the seat. 

And back to the 60 Chevy.  My dad told me today he recalls cutting himself on the corners of the fins when playing in the yard and running to close to it.  And he says he'll never think of one the same, as he had to ride with his parents and 4 other syblings piled into their 2-door Impala from M'waukee to Portage with my grandpa smoking big cheap cigars and making Dad carsick.  He told me if I lived it, I'd never look at a 60 Chevy the same again. 
- Tom

McHeath

I always felt uneasy riding in those old pickups hearing the gas sloosh around in the tank that was 6 inches from me behind the seat. 

And the lack of seatbelts was just what we did.  I recall the parents had a 66' Ford Galaxie and that giant slick back seat, you could slide from one side to the other when mom turned sharp, cheap entertainment for me and my sister.  It's funny how we just thought we ought to sit in these hunks of steel hurtling down the roads at high speed without any sort of method of holding us into the seat, but then we'd go to the fair and have to wear seat belts on the kiddie rides. 

I think what Dreyfuss was after was the idea that something can have style when you start from the function and design outwards.  However, that style is usually simple and lean, like the 500, which does not work for a lot of people.   

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath
I think what Dreyfuss was after was the idea that something can have style when you start from the function and design outwards.  However, that style is usually simple and lean, like the 500, which does not work for a lot of people.   

Yep. Sometimes I have weird artistic design thoughts about the perfect 500 for Atomic Tom:  It would be based on an aqua blue 500, but would have tail fins and little L.E.D. "tail lights" and "headlamps" that would flash for incoming calls.  Oh, and a little "steering wheel" that would adjust the ringer volume.  Yeah, I know, I'm weird.  That's what I get for spending my early youth in theater design.

AET

Ha, my brother and sister used to beg me to take the turns sharp so they could slide across the back seat of my Bel-Air when I'd drive them to and from school. 

And Matt, in my eyes there's no way the 500 could be any more perfect than it is.  I look at a lot of these flashier telephones and what-not, and the 500 is just what's right in my eyes.  It posesses a certain flash and pizazz just by lacking all the bells and whistles.  The only accessory I'm really after would be like a mushroom phone.  But your idea is very clever, but you left out chrome and simulated woodgrain, two of my other favorites!
- Tom