News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

help ID a Kellogg phone

Started by Joes, July 15, 2015, 09:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-Man

Like unbeldi I also would be interested to know what numbers are printed on the coils.

Also, as was previously  asked, are the numbers for the other components matching those from the specification list that I posted earlier?

Again, how did you determine your set is a model 2607; is the number stamped or printed somewhere?

Joes

Hi Everybody, Been busy but found time to do some research. Please bear with me, got a couple questions.   The hook switch appears to be for the series circuit  ( 4 blades ) 1908 bulletin  #38     circuit#9831   pg 6   all 4 blades are being used, VS bridging  circuit #9818 ( 3 blades ) 
     The S or T binding post is connected directly to one post of the receiver and the magneto. Bridging circuit # 9818. Testing was done with components out of circuit except the induction coil.
      Ringer has 40 stamped in the fiber "washers" on the end of both coils, resistance measures 100 ohms.
     Question? is my set 80 ohm series or bridging?
    Patent dates on the switch hook  are  July 15,02  and on the transmitter cup Nov 6 1901
    I am looking at 1903 bulletin # 8 and receiver binding posts are on outside. 1908 bull #38 shows them on inside. What year did they switch?
    The transmitter face plates   from bul #38 show kellogg engraved on top and # on bottom (maybe patent #). They also appear to be metal rather than black. What version of face plate is correct for this telephone?
   Lastly the 2607S is stamped in the wood on bottom of the phone. Cannot find any reference to the "S" .
  Any and all help is appreciated Thanks   Joe

unbeldi

ok, so your ringer is indeed still the original 80 Ω version.  Each coil adds 40 Ω.  At the time, component tolerances were probably not very well controlled, so you would expect some deviation, but 25% seems a bit steep.  Perhaps the old solder connections have added some extra resistance over the last century, or perhaps you measured it across the door hinges.

Most ringing circuits in the US were probably already bridged by this time, certainly in the Bell System, but in the independent world this may have been a little different. The catalogs show that Kellogg used these low-impedance ringers for bridged circuits as well.  In that case, I believe, the hook switch should disconnect the ringer from the line and when the generator is cranked, the ringer should also be disconnected so that the energy of the magneto is not wasted in the local ringer with low impedance.  In a series-ringing arrangement this would not be the case. Perhaps you can tell from the wiring of the set.

G-Man

The two washers stamped "40" on each coil indicates you have a (nominal) 80-ohm ringer.

Jack Ryan

Around the turn of the last century there were still lots of series telephones in service. Although the move had been made to bridged ringers, especially for party line service, most of the independent manufacturers still supplied telephones (and ringers) for series service. Aside from Kellogg; Chicago, DeVeau, AmE, North and SC all listed series telephones in their catalogues.

NE didn't supply series telephones at that time (as far as I can see) but stated in their catalogue that their ringers could be supplied in "any" resistance.

Jack

Joes

Hi G-Man, Looking into the components bull #38 shows the same #'s that you showed me but i do not have pictures in the bulletin.Do you have a pictures I can compare to?   Went to 1910 apparatus catalog , model 2607 listed only as standard bridging. In that catalog the switch hook looked like type 33 (page 51 ) the switch has 4 connections not 3. The receiver looks like code 32a fig 199 (page 34 ). The induction coil looks like code 28 ( page 20 ) .  This set has the 4 connection switch (series) all 4 are connected , also appears to have the  " condenser punching " spot in the lower half of the box. Mag has 3 wires one of which is not attached. Tracing the wires seem to go both ways? (series and bridging) ??  What do you think?   Thanks Joe