News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Type 41 Handset w/Chrome Caps: Hope a forum member got it!

Started by KaiserFrazer67, April 02, 2017, 12:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KaiserFrazer67

Quote from: Partyline4 on April 06, 2017, 10:21:05 PM
Wow...I sold a parts phone AE40 with chrome bands for $48.00 not too long ago....Don't understand why that handset brought such a premium...What am I missing?
Well, I received the phone yesterday, and I can tell you this; you weren't missing much this time around.  The chrome bands themselves are in fairly decent shape, but the Bakelite caps are horribly pitted.  I don't know if they can be sanded and buffed or not; I do know that some members have had success sanding and buffing some kinds of Bakelite, so I will try.

Basically the chrome bands give a very nice "dressed-up" look to the AE 40s and 50s, especially when used with a chrome fingerwheel and dial card ring.  However, the rings have their own special caps; since the rings have the same outer diameter as the rest of the cap and handset to which they mate, the caps are molded with a step in them to receive the rings (they look as if they are turned, but they are not).  They will not work on the plain caps unless you happen to know someone who is very good with a lathe (or you are yourself).  You'd have to use a chuck which would grab the cap from the inside, and use moderate pressure--not so much as to damage the cap, but just enough to prevent the cap from slipping while turning.  You'd also have to be careful of how much plastic you take off, since the rings are a snug fit on the caps.  There are aftermarket chrome "slip-on" rings which work with plain caps offered with some "chrome dress-up" kits available through one or more of the online shops, but they just don't look the same, are not original, and cost almost as much as the original caps even though they are cheaply made.

EDIT:  To be clear, the phone which I bid on and received was the "Signal Corps" phone, mentioned above (not yours, Partyline4):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201872481622
-Tom from Oakfield, Wisconsin --  My CO CLLI & switch: OKFDWIXADS0--GTD-5 EAX

"Problems are merely opportunities in workclothes." -Henry J. Kaiser

AE_Collector

People can't see beyond the part they are looking for. If they want a chrome banded handset they don't bother looking at a 40 set with the handset they want. Of course shipping the complete phone will likely be a bit higher to ship.

Terry

JimHyak

FYI Same seller, another handset, from a local collector I know

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142350394957
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!