News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New In Box Blue 302 5K

Started by Doug Rose, January 25, 2017, 05:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapper

The seller of the Blue 302 purchased the phone for $1500.00.
Zapper

RotarDad

This 302 is a great example of what happens when there are so few of an item, that "value" is nearly impossible to determine.  If we were looking at an M-blue 500, used, but in nice shape, we can guess fairly closely at value.  This is because one shows up on EBay every month or two.  Since both buyer and seller generally know that, prices stay in a range.  With this phone in this condition, we have true unobtainium, so price boils down to just one person (BIN), or two people (auction) who really want it. 
Paul

unbeldi

My blue 302 cost me $125, the same as my blue 500.

Jim Stettler

Back in the pre-internet days, A blue 302 could go for 3K.

JMO,
JIm S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

andy1702

For $3,000 surely someone enterprizing could build a totally brand new exact replica, complete with box?

What makes a blue one blue anyway? Is it paint or is it actually formed out of blue materials?

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

TelePlay

Quote from: andy1702 on January 30, 2017, 01:15:47 PM
For $3,000 surely someone enterprizing could build a totally brand new exact replica, complete with box?

What makes a blue one blue anyway? Is it paint or is it actually formed out of blue materials?

Andy.

Well, in this case it is blue plastic made by measuring certain amounts of colored plastic pellets that make up WE blue and then mixing them together while heating them until melted with stirring to get a consistent, homogeneous (not swirled) color which is then forced under pressure into a steel mold and when cooled, removed for final finishing.

This one is very nice and the bottom image show both the inside and outside are blue. If painted, the inside would be likely black and the H3 and date stamps covered to some extent with paint over spray,

The bottom of this NOS 302 is perfect. The blue plastic housing and handset are perfect. The matching colored cords are perfect.

Doug Rose

Quote from: andy1702 on January 30, 2017, 01:15:47 PM

Andy.
Andy....   I can only imagine the replies from King Steph and Lord Arthur from days gone by.
Kidphone

Stan S

Doug
No box but not bad for $160.
Stan S.

Doug Rose

Stan....it is a beauty.....Doug
Kidphone

Stan S

Sure is. A beautiful paint job. Some folks know how to paint. I am not one of them.
Stan S.

Doug Rose

Stan....  I had one for many years until I found the real deal. Great dial card.  Seemed receiver is a give away of a paint, but you knew that.  Are those genuine OPW cords?.....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

I only have 2 Ivory 302s, plus one for parts.

I came REALLY close to buying one a couple years ago. It was listed on Craigslist for around $50, and was painted Ivory. I thought it was a prewar painted Ivory 302, because the paint was chipping off around the cradle ears, showing what looked like metal underneath. I tried to contact the seller, but they didn't answer. It eventually went to an ATCA member, who discovered what it was. I've been kicking myself ever since. >:(

Fortunately, I have 5 Med Blue 500s now, 3 of them restored, 1 almost done, the other a long way from being done. All of them are 1956 too, another fun fact!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

It is no longer for sale, meaning he got an offer he can live with.....outside of eBay.....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: JimH on January 27, 2017, 12:59:16 AM
Price now reduced to $3995

Original price was BIN $4,995. Then reduced to BIN $3,000. Why is the "ended - error in the listing" price $4,795? Why jack the price up prior to ending the listing?

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on January 31, 2017, 09:42:57 AM
Original price was BIN $4,995. Then reduced to BIN $3,000. Why is the "ended - error in the listing" price $4,795? Why jack the price up prior to ending the listing?

Last revision was 1/28 @ 18:09 PST
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemRevisionDetails&item=142257772679&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2569
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.