News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The A1 Handset mount

Started by Phonesrfun, August 26, 2009, 01:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

In the thread on the WE Touch Tone trial, I mentioned the A1, and thought that a photo would be in order for those who are not familiar with it. 

This was a limited production model that was only made in 1927 and was the first use of the Western Electric E1 handset.  It is commonly referred to as the "sawed-off" candlestick and the mount was made of brass and the cradle was made of aluminum.  Mine has some paint wear around the cradle ears.  This one is hooked to a 295 A wooden subset that first came out in 1906.  I refurbished the subset and equipped it with re-nickeled gongs for the ringer.  The A1 and the 295 combo was a sidetone circuit, as the Bell System had not yet come out with the antisidetone circuit. 

The phone probably would have been more likely coupled with a 334 or 534 (both metal sidetone) subset.  I kind of like it with the wooden one, and electrically the 295 is equivalent to either the 334 or the 534 subsets.

-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Very nice Bill.  Thank you for posting this photo.  It looks like you did a beautiful job on that subset.  That is the Holy Grail of Western Electric cradle phones.  Yours is a beautiful example.

Dan

Beautiful Bill, what kind of wood are the subsets made of?  I'd say oak, as a guess.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Stephen Furley

Very nice Bill.  Pity about the paint on the cradle; that's always going to be a disadvantage with metal 'phones, compared to self-coloured plastic, but considering the age of it, it's in very good condition.

What was the difference between this model and the one which replaced it?

That subset looks very similar to the Bellset No.1 for my No.25 candlestick.  What's that on the left, is it the screw head?  If so then that's one difference, as mine has it on the left side.  Yours seems to have the mounting holes in the backboard outside the box, whereas mine has them inside, but they're similar enough for me to wonder if the same company made both.  Yours also seems to have the small metal cover over the hammer, between the gongs, which mine has.  Any chance of a picture o the inside of it?

Phonesrfun

Yes, I can get a picture, but I am on the road this week-end.  Won't be back home until Sunday night.
-Bill G