News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

$19.00 1952 Automatic Electric 40

Started by LM Ericsson, August 11, 2011, 03:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM Ericsson

Bought this at an antique store in Martinsburg, West Virginia for a low price of 19 Dollars!!! What a steal!!! The dial was completely stuck when I first bought it and managed to adjust it and now it works like a charm. So here is a look at it. Also check my video of it on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtrAYMQbDU0&feature=channel_video_title
Regards,
-Grayson

Nilsog

Ken

LarryInMichigan

LM,

You got a very good deal.  I believe that vermillion stamp on the bottom indicates that the phone was an Army Signal Corps phone, and it was moisture and fungus proofed in 1952.  Enjoy your phone  :)

Larry

LM Ericsson

Regards,
-Grayson

LarryInMichigan

You may find other vermillion stamps inside the phone shell and handset.  The rubber sleeve on the handset cord near the handset was intended to be pushed into the gap between the handset cord and the inside of the hole in the handset.  It is probably intended to keep insects out of the handset.  I have similar things on some of my Signal Corps phones.  The painted bottom plate and rubber washers may also be Signal Corps features.  I have not seen AE40s with such things.

If you're looking for a replacement handle for the phone, Steve Hilsz might have one. 

Larry