News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Off to Europe for Three Weeks

Started by AE_Collector, May 09, 2011, 09:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Okay, to put it mildly it has been a wild and crazy few months here for me. My daughter Erica got engaged last year during the 2010 Winter Olympics here in Vancouver and the last few months have been hectic with last minute preperations. They were married on Saturday! Everything went almost perfectly even though it rained. The reception was at a Chalet on top of a local mountain with fantastic views of Vancouver so rather than raining up there, it was snowing!

They bought a condo in downtown Vancouver and took possesion on March 1 so of course there was some redecorating and improvements to be done there while the wedding plans progressed.

Then last fall my father was diagnosed with cancer and given 6 to 12 months to live. We got right to it touring mom and dad around on weekends site seeing and doing everything dad wanted to do and see. I'm certainly glad we got right at it because he very quickly got worse and passed away on April 3. We were so disappointed that he couldn't hang on until the wedding 5 weeks later but we were also extremely grateful that we had the last few months to be with him a lot.

Erica and Daniel left for Paris France yesterday and by Friday they will make it to the home town in Germany where her husband Daniel was born and there will be another reception there on Saturday for the relatives who were unable to attend the wedding here in Vancouver.

Tomorrow my wife and I leave for Germany as well. We will do some touring and meet more of Daniels relatives at the reception. Word has it that there is a trip out to a restaurant or pub on Friday night as well so I better take it easy there before meeting the rest of the relatives! But that German beer could make it hard to resist!

We leave Germany on Sunday by train heading south through Lucerne to Milan for a couple of nights and then on to Rome and the Cruise Ship port at Civitavecchia for a 12 day Mediterranean cruise. We return to Civiavecchia for one more night after the cruise and then fly home on May 31.

Fortunately I have more time off work once I am home because I have a feeling that I'm going to be needing some R&R by then!

I'll try to post a couple of updates when possible so you know how the trip is going. My wife and I have travelled to Europe half a dozen times in the past but it has been a long time now. We haven't been outside North America since 1985.

Terry

Phonesrfun

What outlandish tales some people concoct just to stay away from a phone show!   :o

Actually, what a wild few months you have had.  I am sorry to hear about your dad, but at the same time, it appears that there is lots of joy to go around too.

Be sure to be on the lookout for some European phones, and it will be interesting to hear about it later.  Have a great trip,

-Bill
-Bill G

Kenny C

Terry,
Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope you have a great time.

I'm with Bill about the phones ;) ;D

Have a good trip.
Kenny C.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AE_Collector

Quote from: Phonesrfun on May 09, 2011, 10:26:40 PM
What outlandish tales some people concoct just to stay away from a phone show!   :o-Bill

Yeah, you caught me!

Missing your Tacoma phone show fits in with the other bad stuff going on here lately rather than the good stuff. Next year for sure and thanks again for doing the show each year. I really missed the Bremerton show when it stopped several years ago now.

Kenny: Thanks for the condolences too and the good wishes. I'll keep a look out for a phone or two!

Terry

Phonesrfun

I am envious of the trip.  Maybe not the cost, but of the trip.  Oh, I guess you can't have one without the other.  I have been to some parts of Germany before, and really enjoyed it.  This should be a great time of year too.

Have a great time.
-Bill G

HarrySmith

Wow, sounds like a great trip ;D Have fun :)

My condolences on your loss but it was good you had the last few months to enjoy!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Bill: Is your family from Germany? If so where abouts? We are going to Rottweil which is 60 or 70 km from Stuttgart.

Harry: Thanks. Yes it was a small blessing to have some notice at least, even if he didn't quite make the minimum time predicted.

Terry

JorgeAmely

My condolences to you and the rest of your family for the loss of your dad.
Jorge

JorgeAmely

On a lighter note, if you happen to find a red AE40 with chrome trim for $25, text me and I will Paypal you ASAP!   ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

AE_Collector

Quote from: JorgeAmely on May 09, 2011, 11:35:44 PM
On a lighter note, if you happen to find a red AE40 with chrome trim for $25, text me and I will Paypal you ASAP!   ;D ;D ;D

Jorge:

I found a red one with GOLD trim this afternoon for only $20 but passed on it because the number card was missing. Good thing it wasn't red with chrome trim cause you would really be ticked with me!

Thanks for the condolences Jorge.

Terry

Dennis Markham

Terry, I also send my condolences on the loss of your father.

I hope that you and your wife have a great trip.   Sounds like you need a relaxing time!  Have fun!

stub

Terry,
          Again, sorry for the loss of your DAD. Have a great trip ;D stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Thanks Dennis and Stub and everyone else as well.

My time on the computer is going to run out tomorrow morning as we try to get out the door so thanks again for the condolences and good wishes on the trip!

Terry

dsk

Terry, I also send my condolences on the loss of your father.

Have a Nice trip, and probably good luck with hunting European telephones.

As far as I know, they should wort on US systems, but UK telephones may need a capacitor for the ringer. The REN no may be high, and bias springs are not so common.

Have a Nice trip.

dsk

Tom B

Terry
Sorry about the loss of your Dad, but as you've said you are having a good time as well, all things in balance.
Enjoy the Euro trip and sink a couple of large glasses of the German beer for me while you're there  ;D
Tom