"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What Kind of WE Subset Is This?

Started by LarryInMichigan, September 10, 2012, 09:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

ebay link

This was a $32.50 BIN.  I hope that I can connect one of my WE sticks to it.  It has some sort of relay in it though.  What was its purpose?  It looks like it may have been used somehow to chain multiple ringers.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

The same seller just listed a second one of these for the same price: ebay link.  In this listing, the diagram is clearer.  The relay was used for party line ringing.  The model of the subset appears to be 297G.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

There was a discussion about this type of subset two years ago: forum link.

Larry

poplar1

These provided for individual ringing of 4 different parties on a line without other parties' phones  ringing; or on 8-party lines only two parties would ring at the same time and would be distinguished by different ring cadence such as one long ring or two short rings.

The Bell System would have  used this party line arrangement rather than the frequency selective ringers so often found in Automatic Electric, North, Kellogg and Stromberg-Carlson phones.

Without the relay only two parties could be rung individually, by sending ringing current over one side (tip) of the line to ground or the other side (ring) to ground. With the relay (which was later replaced by a tube) you now could send + or - over tip or ring to give 4 possibilites.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

LarryInMichigan

The subset arrived today.  It is a 297-A.  I do not know what the difference is between the 297-A and 297-G.  I do not see any production date, but the latest patent date is 1915.  The diagram on the cover shows the wiring for a #20 desk stand.

The subset is in fairly good condition.  I did a quick ringer test and found that the ringer is going to need some physical adjustments to allow it to ring properly.

Larry

poplar1

Larry, comparing the two photos, the 297-A has 1250 + 1250 on the ringer coils. The 297-G has 500/3000 + 500. I don't know if this is the reason for the A and G designations. Anyone know the purpose of the two windings on one coil?

TelePlay

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 15, 2012, 10:48:46 PM
The subset arrived today.  - - - I did a quick ringer test and found that the ringer is going to need some physical adjustments to allow it to ring properly.

Larry, what numbers were on each of the coils of your subset's ringer?

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: TelePlay on October 29, 2012, 10:47:39 PM
Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 15, 2012, 10:48:46 PM
The subset arrived today.  - - - I did a quick ringer test and found that the ringer is going to need some physical adjustments to allow it to ring properly.

Larry, what numbers were on each of the coils of your subset's ringer?

Greg G.

Quote from: poplar1 on September 10, 2012, 11:06:57 PM
These provided for individual ringing of 4 different parties on a line without other parties' phones  ringing; or on 8-party lines only two parties would ring at the same time and would be distinguished by different ring cadence such as one long ring or two short rings.

That brings back memories.  Late 50s, early 60s we had to listen for "our" ring.  I remember conversation at dinner being interrupted by the phone ringing and Dad saying "Shut up!" if we didn't immediately cease talking so we could hear if it was "our" ring.  I seem to remember more than just one other ring combo though, so I think everybody's phone rang.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

poplar1

Probably there were twice as many parties as you heard rings for. This is because half the ringers are connected from tip (green) to ground (yellow) and the other half are connected from ring (red) to ground. So each side of the line could have 2 or more parties. Here is a possible setup for an 8-party line using regular ringers:

1 Long Tip Party
1 Long Ring Party
2 Short Tip Party
2 Short Ring Party
3 Short Tip Party
3 Short Ring Party
1 Long 1 Short Tip Party
1 Long 1 Short Ring Party

TelePlay

Larry,

I've noticed two types of ringers in wood boxes. How are they different? I've seen the frame mounted ringer in metal subsets where the bells are enclosed but have seen both types in wood boxes with the bells exposed.

The type with the frame has an adjustment spring, the other does not.

I want to set up a ringer box to ring only on stage off of a Tellabs ring generator. Would either or both work? Would the lack of a tension spring on the direct mount ringer cause a problem?

In the future, I may add a 302 coil and condenser to make it a subset but right now I just need it to ring and am not sure which type to go with. Can you or anyone else help me with this?

poplar1

John, the biasing spring is needed on straight line ringers on  common battery lines to keep the bell from tapping when dialing or  going  off/onhook on the phone you are using or another phone on the line.

Local battery phones with generators don't need the biasing spring.

Either of these should work with a Tellabs generator which I assume puts out 20 or 30 HZ.

TelePlay

Thanks, Dave. It's a 30Hz Tellabs generator.

Those large bells on those old ringers have a great sound to them which will sound great on stage. The phone only rings once at the end of the play. It's a mystery with a twist at the end, one one of those Hitchcock - Twilight Zone type endings. The resonant carry of those bells is fantastic to do just what needs to be done just before the curtain falls.