News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Strowger 11 Digit

Started by wds, September 23, 2012, 05:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I finally broke down and picked up my first 11 digit AE Strowger.  I hadn't planed on buying this one, so I bought a few others off of Ebay this weekend.  Needless to say I'll be eating hamburger helper for a while.  Can't wait to get this mounted on the wall.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

That looks great, but i would sure hate to have to dismantle that dial.

Larry

AE_Collector

Quote from: wds on September 23, 2012, 05:25:04 PM
I hadn't planed on buying this one, so I bought a few others off of Ebay this weekend. 

Reading this I'm thinking "How many Strowgers did you buy this weekend"? but finally I figured out that you meant you bought a few other (likely lesser) phones this weekend as well as the Strowger.

I was watching that one, looks complete and reasonable price.

Terry

wds

Yes, sorry about that.  I meant other non Strowger, much less expensive phones, but phones I would not have purchased if I had bought this one first.  Not the cheapest price, but I thought a pretty good price considering the shape and it's complete. 
Dave

HarrySmith

Nice! Congrats! I am longing to get one of those for my collection :'(
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

DavePEI

Quote from: wds on September 23, 2012, 05:25:04 PM
I finally broke down and picked up my first 11 digit AE Strowger.  I hadn't planed on buying this one, so I bought a few others off of Ebay this weekend.  Needless to say I'll be eating hamburger helper for a while.  Can't wait to get this mounted on the wall.
Looks great! They are great phones! I love mine.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Sargeguy

Nice, I almost want to break my Western Electric only rule!!!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

stub

wds,
         Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to get one also , but can't stop eating long enough to pay for it!! Congrats!!!! stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

wds

Finally got the phone today.  Several of the wires on the inside had been cut or broken, so I spent most of the day repairing the wiring.  Once finished, the ringer rings, receiver works, transmitter works but is a little weak.  Everything seems to work like it's supposed to.  This is one beautiful phone.  I can't dial out as I have digital phone service, but I wonder if you could dial out with this dial?  Or does this dial pulse differently than other rotary dials?  
Dave

rdelius

If unmodified, I do not think it will dial. Used a 3 wire system I think.   H,V and gnd.

AE_Collector

I agree, not going to ever dial a call on one of these.

Terry

wds

I thought I paid a lot for mine until I saw this one sell for $768.  To me it seemed to be a basket case, but someone thinks it has potential.  The push button switch doesn't seem right - any idea's why it went for so much?
Dave

kleenax

Quote from: wds on October 10, 2012, 01:43:31 PM
I thought I paid a lot for mine until I saw this one sell for $768.  To me it seemed to be a basket case, but someone thinks it has potential.  The push button switch doesn't seem right - any idea's why it went for so much?
This is a "long-box" 11-digit; much more rarely seen than the "normal" one posted earlier.

As to using them to dial out, TCI member Steve Flocke brought a working 3-wire Strowger switch to the Mason, MI show last year and we had a great time using both a Strowger stick and an 11-digit wall phone with it! Great fun to actually see one work!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

wds

Long Box!  I had no idea - thanks for the info!  Guess I need to add this to my list of "wants/needs".
Dave

AE_Collector

I know the buyer of that one. He was going to go $1000 but I think I talked him into $1200 though in the end he got luck and didn't get near that. I thought of making it the next Auction COntest but there really wasn't enogh time left o nthe auction by then.

Terry