News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telechron 4F73, 4B79

Started by Mr. Bones, May 03, 2015, 02:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

You guys are such bad influences, LOL! ;)

Here is the auction picture of my very first Telechron clock, a 4F73. (The Smartset)

It arrived in the mail Thursday, and I synched it with the Atomic Clock when I plugged it in. It hasn't varied one second since!

It cost 13.60 + 8.90 shipping.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Bill

Not intending to hijack the thread, but perhaps an interesting factoid. Once your clock is synced with atomic time, it should never gain or lose even a second. This is because it is run by a synchronous motor, meaning that the motor rotates in exact synchronization with the power line frequency. In other words, the clock will advance exactly 1 second for every 60 cycles of line power that go by (50 cycles in Europe, obviously), and exactly one minute for every 3600 cycles of the AC waveform that go by. And by law the AC power waveform is continually synced with "atomic time". If the generators start to gain or lose a tiny fraction of a cycle, they are slowed down or speeded up a tiny amount to catch up.

In the event of a major transient, it is possible for the system to gain or lose a number of cycles, of course, which they try to gradually make up. But if you dive deep enough into the power companies' operating report that must be submitted to the govt every month, you will find a line item for "Total cycles gained/lost for the month". It is usually zero, but I have very occasionally seen reports with "1 cycle" or "2 cycles" entered.

Why do they go to this elaborate process? You are holding the answer in your hand - timekeeping.

Bill

Mr. Bones

My second Telechron, a 4B79, The Olympic, arrived just a few days after the 4F73. Plugged it in, synched it, and it is happily, precisely keeping time.

I probably paid too much ($21.50), but I really like the aesthetics of this model; fits in perfectly here in my home. 8)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Fabius

Quote from: Mr. Bones on May 10, 2015, 06:35:32 PM

I probably paid too much ($21.50), but I really like the aesthetics of this model; fits in perfectly here in my home. 8)

/quote]

It wasn't all that long ago that you couldn't give away a Telechron clock. But now they've been discovered, so $21.50 isn't a bad price for one with some style.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Mr. Bones

Quote from: Fabius on May 10, 2015, 08:44:02 PM
It wasn't all that long ago that you couldn't give away a Telechron clock. But now they've been discovered, so $21.50 isn't a bad price for one with some style.
Thanks for your input, Tom.

As best I understand it, (novice), this model is from the 1932-1938 era, based upon this
http://telechron.net/goldenage/4b79.htm link.

$21.50 certainly doesn't seem outrageous, or even unreasonable for a nice, working clock that is ~75 years old. ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

19and41

Those are nice looking and apparently nice running clocks!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

savageje

I love the case on that 4B79.  Very cool indeed.  I see those around at antique stores and auctions occasionally, but haven't ever picked one up.  My wife already thinks I collect too many things.   :(