News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ansonia Clock Company New York United States

Started by Doug Rose, September 27, 2015, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Jan picked this up this morning. 33 degrees at the Flea market, Fall is here. It starts for about a minute then it stops. Glass has a crack, but you really don't see it sitting on the wall. Any info on this?....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I asked the NAWCC as I have in the past with a few clocks I tried to fix. I was told to move the clock a little to the left or right.

Well, a tad to the left that you cannot even tell it was moved it started on its own! Two hours and it is going great and keeping time. It looks much better than the flash pictures show it to be.

I have it in the computer room now, I am five feet away and it looks AMAZING!. Gawd darn!

Jan done good for $25. Any guess on a date it was made? Seller told her late 1800s. I am thrilled as it is....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 27, 2015, 07:18:05 PM
I was told to move the clock a little to the left or right. Well, a tad to the left that you cannot even tell it was moved it started on its own!

What's up with that, magnetic fields or gravity?

Doug Rose

4:43 PM #2
Registered user.

usa
Default Re: Ansonia Clock Company New York United States (RE: kidphone)
Doug, your clock may just be out of beat. Once you get it going listen for the tic - toc. The tic and toc should sound evenly spaced. If not, push the case bottom slightly to the right or the left. You will hear the tic-toc sound change and the clock may stop. If so, start it up again and move the bottom of the case to the opposite side until you get an even tic toc sound.

You can leave it this way if you don't mind the dial being on a slant, but if you can reach in and bend the crutch slightly to the side that you ended up skewing the bottom of the case to, you should be able to get it in beat and have it level on the wall as well. It may be easier to bend the crutch wire by removing the hands and dial first. If you remove the dial you may find a patent date on the movement itself which will give you an idea of the age of the clock. There are many people here who can nail it down for you. I don't know myself what model or date this would be but someone with more knowledge may turn up.

Chances are the movement will need to be cleaned and oiled at least. This is a pretty simple time only movement which would be a very good first clock to work on if you are interested in getting more involved. There are lots of helpful how-to articles here and lots of great folks with a lot of experience to help out if you get stuck on something. Just be sure not to take the movement apart until the spring is "let down" so no one gets hurt. There is a how to on this as well as how to properly clean and oil and a host of other good information. From the Forum home page go to clocks > repair hints & how to's. Good luck with it.
Kidphone

19and41

Who would've guessed that was what it needed to operate correctly?  Love the internet!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Mr. Bones

Nice clock, and cool fix, Doug!

I have only several Telechrons, one GE/Telechron, and a persistently growing collection of Baby/Big Bens. ;D

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Doug Rose

Kidphone