News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 193G Three-Slot Payphone for $30 on Craig's List

Started by LarryInMichigan, September 13, 2011, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Kirk

According to my payphone history handbook,  the 193G set first came out in 1951 with an F handset. Two tables in the book affirm this.  But,  to confuse everyone, another section shows a reference in 1954 they had started using G handsets.  Looks like either one might be correct. IMHO the F handset looks better.

I don't see in the book any notes or comments that the handset cradles are different for the F/G handsets.

I have not checked the BSPs,  that will take some more time...

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

rdelius

Uasually the G1 hooks are chrome and the F1 hooks are black.See what handset fits better.
Robby

LarryInMichigan

The hook is painted black.  Because of the way the left side is bent, the G handset fits fairly snugly down into it while the F1 sits too high.  The pictures below should help (click to expand them).

Larry

LarryInMichigan

Here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WESTERN-ELECTRIC-PAYPHONE-ROTARY-DIAL-PHONE-TELEPHONE-/300597285090 is a later model, 2223-G, which just ended at $215.  I was expecting the bids to jump at the last second, but it sat at that bid for about an hour.

Larry

Sargeguy

The WE 3-slot doors are tough to come by.  They will cost you much more than you paid for the phone, around $100

EDIT:  Since you listed it on eBAy you don't have to worry about that!  I'll throw in a bid!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

G-Man

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 27, 2011, 10:06:20 PM
I just listed the payphone and bracket on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260903876237 and http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260903876237.

Larry

Hi Larry-

I noticed that you ended the auction for the payphone early. Did you decide to keep it instead? I suspect that if you would have let it end on time, a 193G would have gone for at least $350 - $400.

Thanks

LarryInMichigan

Really?  Even without a coin chute or vault door?

G-Man

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 28, 2011, 04:09:43 PM
Really?  Even without a coin chute or vault door?

Hi Larry-

I suspect you are referring to the lack of a pull-bucket for the coin return. Since pull-buckets did not come along until latter on payphone development, your payphone is much more desirable amongst knowledgeable collectors; thus they are willing to pay a higher price.

That combined with it being a transitional design and being well marked would make it well sought after. Also, note that it does not have a coin-return push-button as do latter sets.

The lack of a vault door is not detrimental since they are plentiful and can be had a phone shows for much lower than the $100 that was quoted in an earlier post.

I think I was being conservative when stating the $350-$400 figures. Of course in today's economic environment who knows what the final bid will be.  If you do decide to list it make sure you announce it on the ATCA and TCI lists.

Thanks!