News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 304 A/W No dial tone

Started by winkydink, February 24, 2012, 02:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winkydink

I am trying to put back together and rewire a WE 304 A/W phone.  This is a party line phone that has 6 wires coming out of the hook switch (as opposed to the normal 4)  and has a 101B Induction coil and a 4 wire ringer.

At this point I have no dial tone.

I am going to recheck the wiring to see if (1) it is correct and (2) that I haven't shorted something.

If it is not the wiring, what is the most likely part to fail on a 302, the condenser ?

What makes this so hard (I know preaching to the choir) is the fact that the colors fade from the wires and it is difficult to tell slate from yellow, blues/greens lose their colors etc.

On a 6 wire hook switch does someone have a picture or diagram as to what color comes from what location.  Thanks.

HowardPgh

Winkydink
Try looking at BSP C38.555 or 502-400-402.
Follow diagram for Individual or Bridged Stations.
In the 502 BSP I think there is an error in the spreadsheet that says where to wire theconnections for Individual or Bridged it says Switch hook G-R to RR on Ind coil, it should go to L2 on the terminal strip instead, not RR.
The last diagram in the 502 BSP shows how to wire the phone for 1A1 Key Telephone and it eliminates the 2 extra leads on the switch for the phone and uses them for A & A1 connecttions. (S-R & G-R)
S= slate
R= red
G= green
Howard

winkydink

Thanks for the help

Happy ending.  I took a look at the wiring, and reconnected everything.  It now works.  I must have had a poor connection or something touching/shorting.

Problem solved.