News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 Wont hang up.

Started by Karen, February 29, 2012, 10:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

I just had this same problem with a 500 model.  Got the dial tone, but now cant get it to hang up. 

Anyone see what im doing wrong here? I have no idea where that black line goes from the ringer either. 

HowardPgh

Gymcrackery-
Red from line to L2, Red from handset to R on coil that might get you going from what I see in the picture.
Ringer Black to K on little terminal board.
There may be other wiring errors but the two Red wires seem to be the most obvious.
Also see BSP 502-400-100 or 502-400-401 follow diagram for individual or bridged station.
Good luck
Howard

stub

gymcrackery,
                    Swap the red wires on L1 and R , then remove the yellow line in wire on K and put the black ringer wire there. I think that will do it . You have the hookswitch bypassed the way it is wired now. Hope this helps.  Here's a link to the wiring diagram.    stub

http://tinyurl.com/7npkt3n
Kenneth Stubblefield

cihensley@aol.com

The yellow wire is on ground. It's OK to leave it there. You are correct , the black ringer wire should go on K (not GND).

Chuck

stub

gymcrackery,
                   You can print the diagram and then compare your wiring to it . It's a good way to learn about your old phone. A lot of time these old phones get help on their wiring by others before we get them. Let us know if we can be of more help.  PS- Always remember to not be touching your phone wires when you have a incoming call. The voltage is AC and it will BITE :o  Just leave one phone off-hook and it won't bite . Enjoy,   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Karen

I put the black ringer wire where the yellow was on K (I assume, theres no "K" labeled on it) but it didnt ring.  I moved the blk ringer wire to GND and it did....  I just left the yellow and black line wires out and will tape them....

What are your thoughts?

Why is the blk ringer working on GND and not on K?

Karen

black ringer not working on K, but working on GND...

stub

gymcrackery,
                   Look at the diagram- condenser, see where it is supposed to go- it may be that the condenser slate wire and the condenser yellow are swapped. It won't matter either way, but the diagram shows it goes to K. Does the rest of the phone work right now?  stub  
Kenneth Stubblefield

Karen

They may be switched in the condenser but I cant really compare it to the diagram since the wires on it are all coming out in a nice neat line and on mine, they are all coming out of one hole. 

I moved them both to K and they work there too.  Is one better than the other (gnd vs. k)?  I just want to make sure it will ring fine in someone else's house when I sell it.

stub

gymcrackery,
                   It's just a connecting point- K. Some of the rest of the CRPF folks, smarter than I am ;D, will have to explain gnd. ringing and bridged ringing for party lines . OK, bail me out somebody !  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Karen

Well you got it ringing!  Thanks. And thanks to everyone!

Phonesrfun

Stub is right GND and K are just connecting points and nothing more.  As long as both the condenser wire and the ringer wire are connected together, it doesn't matter electrically which label is on the terminal.

However, to be "proper", that is to conform to the diagram for bridged ringing, both wires should be connected to "K" and not "GND"  K is the terminal that connects the ringer to the condenser (capacitor).

Modern day ringing is called bridged ringing because ringing current is provided across both sides of the two wire phone line.  The ringer and condenser are therefore bridged across the line.  That is to say that one ringer wire goes to L1 and one condenser wire goes to L2/Y, with the other ringer wire and the other condenser wire going to that common point "K".

Party line ringing is a thing of the past, and it was called divided ringing as opposed to bridged ringing.  With divided ringing, three parties could use the line and each would get ringing current that would not ring the other party's phone.  In this case, ringing current for party A would be regular bridged ringing as described above.  Party B would have ringing current applied between one side of the line and ground, "GND".  Party C would have ringing current applied to the other side of the line and ground.  Note that Party B and C needed a third wire connecting the phone to a ground point such as a cold water pipe, and connected to the GND terminal inside the phone.

These days, since divided ringing is a thing of the past, the GND terminal is not normally used.

There are many other ways in which selective ringing on party lines was accomplished, and what I have described above only gave a possible 3 separate ringing configurations.  Other methods would provide for perhaps 6 or even more combinations on one line, but those schemes needed more elaborate wiring and/or frequency sensitive ringers.  All of which are a thing of the past, except that the frequency selective ringers won't usually work at all on modern phone lines.

That's a whole different subject.
-Bill G

Karen

Thanks Bill. 

Yeah I think I had a phone recently that had that party line issue. 

I moved the lines to K, just to be proper.  Glad its working!

HowardPgh

Gymkrackery,
Judging from your latest picture it looks like you got it!
If you look next to the horizontal terminal on the little board there is a K hidden under the dirt.
Howard