News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who Likes Old Clocks!!!

Started by Doug Rose, September 05, 2011, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Not as much as phones, but I do love to tinker with old Clocks. This is a GE with Beautiful wood, I love the different directions the wood flows. This guy was in tough shape, scrathes everywhere and a terrible finish. The cord worn and breaking. New cord and Howard's neautral retorafinish, the fountain of youth for wood. Works like a champ and chimes on the hour. This is really sharp looking.....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Doug,

That's a beautiful clock.  It looks like a Telechron Strike model from the late 1930s.  I have a number of GE/Telechron clocks as well as come Hammonds, Westclox, and others.  If the movement is clean and lubricated, it will run for decades.

Larry

Doug Rose

Thanks Larry...as you know Telechron and GE were almost the same Company as GE backed Telechron until they finally took it over and changed to GE. I have a few Telechron's around the house. Made next town over to me in tiny Ashland MA, clocks are their claim to fame. This runs silently and is keeping perfect time. The chime is very cool. On old clock for a $10 bill is hard to pass up. Howard's made this like new again. I had a good Flea Market/Antique Stores day yesterday. Downside, I was up at 4AM and not home until 10 PM. We went to Maine to visit Jan's Dad and made a lot of stops before and with him.....long day...good finds.........Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I could be out from 4AM on the 1st of Jan until 10PM on the 31st of Dec, and I wouldn't find that many things.  I have a Telechron Strike, 'Minstrel'

which I found at a local thrift store for $8, but that was the only find I have ever had of that type.  It was in pathetic looking condition when I bought it, but after a new cord, alot of cleaning, and plenty of wood scratch cover and polish, and it looks presentable.

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry...more than presentable, looks beautiful. I found a Seth Thomas that looks very similar to yours on Saturday. Ran for three days keeping perfect time and chimed on 1/4 1/2 and full hour and then just died! Can't figure it out...Doug

http://tinyurl.com/3pkba59
Kidphone

rp2813

Doug, what is the model number on that handsome clock?  I am looking for something of that vintage and size.

Here's a model 4F61 "Pharaoh" that I recently picked up for $6, on my bench prior to dis-assembly for repair and cleaning/polishing.  The rotor was frozen but I was able to revive it without much effort.   I gently cleaned dial, hands & glass and hit the case with some Old English Scratch Cover and the clock is keeping time beautifully and quietly again.
Ralph

Doug Rose

Quote from: rp2813 on September 05, 2011, 11:54:45 PM
Doug, what is the model number on that handsome clock?  I am looking for something of that vintage and size.

Here's a model 4F61 "Pharaoh" that I recently picked up for $6, on my bench prior to dis-assembly for repair and cleaning/polishing.  The rotor was frozen but I was able to revive it without much effort.   I gently cleaned dial, hands & glass and hit the case with some Old English Scratch Cover and the clock is keeping time beautifully and quietly again.
This is all I could find on the Seth Thomas....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Doug,

I believe that your ST clock has the same movement as mine.

The Sangamo motors in these are very difficult to replace.  Nobody sells new replacements.  Does your motor work?

Larry

LarryInMichigan

I just looked at your ebay pictures, and I see that the wires from the power connector are not connected to the motor.  It will certainly not run without power.

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry....Check it again, what is disconnected is the original cord that would plug into the back of the clock. A new cord is attached directly to the movement and it was working for almost three days...thanks...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Does the new cord run through a hole in the bottom of the clock?  From the pictures, I thought that the cord, with a connector, was simple lying on the table near the clock.  I think that potential buyers will be confused by that.

Larry

rp2813

Hey Doug,

I thought that first clock pictured was a GE.  That's the one I'm interested in getting the model number from.

Ralph

LarryInMichigan

rp2813

Thanks Larry.  I picked up a 3H07 as a gift for a friend but it's kind of small.  I think the 6B10 would be a nice size.  It will be used on top of an older but modern looking upright piano.  I'll have to start looking for a 6B10 or similar style.
Ralph

bigdaddylove

I do!