News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 1976 Northern Electric touch-tone payphone.

Started by jiggerman, February 23, 2010, 07:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggerman

The wife snapped a pic of me playing with some of my toys the other day. Just wanted to show my latest acquisition I picked it up at the local town auction for $32.00.  It's a 1976 Northern Electric/Nortel Centurion touch tone payphone.. This thing weights a ton (actually it's 49 lbs ). I don't have a key to open it but I do suspect it probably has a few coins inside. I know oldphoneworks.com does sell these keys for $12.00 so I'll have to get one. It does have a dial tone when I plug it in so it should be fairly easy to get it working. Needs a good cleaning, I'll post a good close-up pic when I get done with it.  I plan to use it in my garage this summer. Jiggerman

gpo706

Is this a "1C2". same as mine?

You'll need a "T-Key" to open the case up the one I bought (don't ask how much it came from the US, indulged  myself somewhat), had no lock on the side, but you could buy a key or failing that drill it out and buy a new lock and keys - PhoneCo does them.

This is my most expensive phone, but boy what a beauty it looks!

The Bell System OP's are available for download, I can look the links up if you want.

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

McHeath

Wow, you are the radio man!  Great collection. 

jiggerman

I believe this is a "1C2" #QSD400A (26). If you go to the site below they have a lot of info on this phone.      http://www.islandregister.com/phones/payphone.html    I should be able to get the phone working with the information they have on the P.E.I. phone site, if not I will get it touch with you for the Bell System OP's. Thanks for the offer. 

I not only collect phones, radios but old test equipment, TV's and stereos. I'm addicted to all vintage electronics. There's no end to it !!  Thanks for the kind words guys. Jiggerman         

Craig T

I second that, great collection! The TT payphone is an excellent addition.

DavePEI

Quote from: jiggerman on February 23, 2010, 10:32:52 PM
I believe this is a "1C2" #QSD400A (26).       
The 1C2 is a completely different animal. Please do not confuse it with a Centurion. This is a Centurion, made by Northern Electric. 1C2 was Western Electric's "Fortress" style phone. While both are a "Fortress" phone, the design and circuits are completely different.

All you need to do with any of the two types of phone, however to use it on a home line is connect the L1 and L2 to the correct spot. You might want to tie the coin relay vane to shunt the coins to the coin return to make it easy to recover coins which people inevitably will insert.

Most often, Centurions will not have a lock, but there is a place to put one when desired. The plastic top will come off using a T-key in the keyway located on the top of the cover. Underneath, you will find a red case containing the phone's components, cash box, etc.

It will also unlock using the same T-Key, via a keyway on the left. If there is a lock on it, you will need to unlock it (or drill it out) before you use the T-Key to open the inner position.

http://www.islandregister.com/phones/centurion.html

Dave

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001