News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mahogany Model 500 Refurbishment

Started by Dennis Markham, June 10, 2009, 10:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

contraste

Inspirational work Dennis, thanks for sharing your expertise.

Lee

foots

Wow, that turned out really nice. You definately deserve 2 thumbs up for that one!
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dennis Markham

Dan, that's a legitimate question.  Pretty much I've told the world about the scratch since I posted it here.  Although the world may not be watching, they have the capability. 

If I were to sell the phone (which I won't, unless someone wants to give me $10,000,000---didn't think so) I would mention that the phone was refurbished and that I removed a scratch.  I think it's different than repairing a crack or break which is different damage.  A crack or break may reoccur.  I don't think the scratch is going to come back.  Will the removal of the scratch detract from the value?  That only remains to be seen.  If there was visual evidence of the scratch I'd say yes.  Would the diminished value outweigh the added value of the straight handset cord and the rest of the original condition of the phone, I don't know.  If this phone were set along side one exactly like it that didn't have a scratch removed that one would be more valuable.

So the quick answer to your question is yes, I would disclose a repair.  With all the "rare" phones that cross paths on eBay, what has been done to them for the purpose of the sale?  Only the seller and eventually the unsuspecting buyer know for sure. 

My reputation for honesty is worth more to me than whatever price might be obtained from the sale of this or any phone.

By the way, I'll accept serious offers less than $10,000,000....but only slightly less.  :)

HobieSport

Quote from: Dennis Markham
My reputation for honesty is worth more to me than whatever price might be obtained from the sale of this or any phone.

Honesty always seems the best policy and works best in the long run in all things in life IMO.  As a seller I would always disclose any repair done to a phone including scratch repair.  And as a buyer I appreciate honest sellers who fully and honestly describe their phones, and I'm then also more likely to be a repeat customer.  Just my .02.
-Matt

Dennis Markham

I put together a photo album on the Mahogany phone.  I just took some fresh photos outside in subdued lighting to try and capture the actual color.  These photos will be the first two on the album and at the end.  A couple still appear dark.  I probably need a nicer camera.

Warning, there are 50+ photos in the album.  Bring a snack!

https://tinyurl.com/yaev64zg

Click on the 1st image to read the associated text....then toggle through each photo.

Dennis

bingster

A warning of 50 plus pictures? Ha!  You could have 100, and it still wouldn't be enough for me! Beautiful job, Dennis!
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Thanks.  Now I can move on to the next one............or two.....or three..........

Steve

If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Dan/Panther

Excellent work Dennis, just like new.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HobieSport

Quote from: Sargeguy
Mmmmm....chocolate!

;D  I was going to mention Hershey bars but "mahogany" sounds so much more sophisticated... ;)  Either way, it looks delicious, Dennis. :)
-Matt

bwanna

truly a masterpiece, dennis. thank you for sharing all the fotos w/ such informative captions!
donna

Dennis Markham

Thank you everyone for your comments.  It was a fun project.

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Greg G.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on June 13, 2009, 06:44:53 PM
If I remember correctly, the Ryobi came with a buffer cloth that ties with two strings.  They ALWAYS come off.  The replacement terry cloth covers that I mentioned that are available at WalMart have elastic that hold them on to the buffing head.  I have washed mine over and over and they hold up pretty well.  They're pretty cheap considering the use you'll get out of them.

What do those pads look like?  I just picked up a Ryobi buffer today from Home Depot, but the nearest Walmart is 20 miles from me.  I'm sure there are other sources closer, but I need to know what they look like, or what they're called.  I put in a search for "buffer" on Walmart's website and it brought up everything from digital cameras to baby diapers.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e