"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Looking for a Wiring Diagram for a WE CS500DM and a Picture of a WE4293 Network

Started by gands-antiques, January 19, 2013, 01:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 20, 2013, 02:05:15 PM
L2 on any network is only a passive terminal used to connect one side of the line (usually the green wire) to the hookswitch lead.  There are no internal connections within the network to the L2 terminal.  If the original phone has a polarity guard, then one side of the polarity guard served that porpose.  Any unused terminal can be used as an L2.

Depending on the ringer, you would probably tape and not use the slate/red and slate ringer leads, but that is dependant on the ringer

Bill is correct about the different ringers. With the Princess (M-type) and Trimline (P-type) ringers, the red-slate and slate are insulated and not used. On a C4A (500, 554, 2500) ringer, all 4 wires are used.

With a 4-wire C4A ringer, you can either:

1. Connect the red-slate to A and the slate to K, with the black and red going to the line on L1 and L2---(yellow hookswitch on L2)

or

2. Connect the red-slate and slate together to a spare terminal, the black ringer wire to L1, red ringer wire to K, and incoming line to L1 and A---yellow hookswitch on A.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Quote from: G-Man on January 20, 2013, 08:25:59 AM
Quote from: gands-antiques on January 20, 2013, 07:57:42 AM
Thanks G-Man...

I did switch the dial wires one lead at a time but it still doesn't work.  It original one worked before I switched the bases.

I'm switching bases because two of the rubber feet were melted on the original one and I didn't want to replace rivets to change them.

Thanks,
Gary  

See if this helps...

" Western Electric 500 Set With 4293 Network.jpg (576.99 KB, 4245x2816 - viewed 7 times.)"

G-Man,

Can you tell me where this diagram is from? It is obviously not a "500 set" but some kind of wall phone since it has a 523A plug shown with a 630 metal wall jack.

Also, a 554 doesn't have a P-type (Trimline) ringer so I am really confused.

poplar1

There is no L2 terminal on the 4293 network. Rather, the line connects to A (red) and L1 (green).

Other than the cheaper network, the ringers had only two wires and the hookswitch had fewer contacts. Not all these changes were made at exactly the same time.