"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Yellow Soft Plastic Rotary Wall Phone

Started by John S, March 09, 2011, 08:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Hello,

I picked up another phone last weekend, along with the gray wall phone. I found this yellow rotary wall phone on Craiglist in Indiana.  I picked it up on the way home.  I bought it for 20.00 bucks.  Now I have 3 soft plastic wall phones.  It will need some TLC, but I really got a good deal on it.  Its hard to see the date stamped, but its there.  The cord is nice and thick....All the dates match, 1956.  I see that the back of the dail, its has been painted over.  Overall I am very happy with this phone......Check out the pictures........

John

jsowers

John, that's a very nice and hard-to-find 554. And all original too! Ugly as that stick-on area code might be, it's a very old sticker from the 50s when area codes first came out, and I'd leave it there. You're lucky the coil cord is still yellow. With exposure to light, those cords turned almost white, like the pink ones from a few years later.

It has some green gunk on the switchhook that has come off on the earcap. Hopefully that all will come off. It should clean up well. Notice while you're cleaning it how translucent yellow soft plastic is. It kind of refracts the light.

This is an early model 554 too, from the first year for yellow 554s. I think only ivory and black were available in 1955. Congratulations on finding yet another great phone at a bargain price. You know how to find them!
Jonathan

GG

Score!  Another great old phone saved from random fate, to live another fifty years or longer.  Good going!

Dan

looks like the hook is a satin finish. These seemed to be around '56. A beauty  you have there!!!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

southernphoneman

Quote from: John S on March 09, 2011, 08:21:13 AM

Hello,

I picked up another phone last weekend, along with the gray wall phone. I found this yellow rotary wall phone on Craiglist in Indiana.  I picked it up on the way home.  I bought it for 20.00 bucks.  Now I have 3 soft plastic wall phones.  It will need some TLC, but I really got a good deal on it.  Its hard to see the date stamped, but its there.  The cord is nice and thick....All the dates match, 1956.  I see that the back of the dail, its has been painted over.  Overall I am very happy with this phone......Check out the pictures........

John
that phone is nice, I have a yellow 554 from 1960

southernphoneman

Quote from: John S on March 09, 2011, 08:21:13 AM

Hello,

John
wow! that phone is really nice. I have the same exact one from 1960.

old_stuff_hound

Though I don't remember exactly, I *think* the kitchen phone when I was growing up was a yellow 554. (Definitely 554, can't swear yellow but your phone is looking very familiar). Nice find!