News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Video of my 151AL Desk Set Telephone with 634BA Subset Completed Project

Started by xtal_01, April 04, 2023, 03:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

That doesn't explain the parkerized finish (2-year gap between the end of 2H dials in 1932 and start of parkerized cases on 1934 4H dials). All 2-type dials reported here have  painted cases.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

xtal_01

Quote from: poplar1 on April 06, 2023, 04:05:06 PMThat doesn't explain the parkerized finish (2-year gap between the end of 2H dials in 1932 and start of parkerized cases on 1934 4H dials). All 2-type dials reported here have  painted cases.

Do you think it could have been an 4A ???

I don't have a catalog but one of the guys on the singing wires group said 4A was listed but again, no one in that group had ever seen one.

Mike

poplar1

Quote from: xtal_01 on April 06, 2023, 04:19:46 PMDo you think it could have been an 4A ???

I don't have a catalog but one of the guys on the singing wires group said 4A was listed but again, no one in that group had ever seen one.

Mike

I am certain that Steve Hilsz would not have sold you a 4A dial, if he even had one, for the price of a 4H.

poplar1

On Ebay, I found another 4H with the W marked out with 3 lines in the metal. Seller does not say it is a converted 2-type. The earliest 4H dials (not converted)  have painted cases and these patent dates on the back, starting with 1912. https://www.ebay.com/itm/115603579693 (left photo below)

All the conversions (2A>4H) that I have owned have the W stamped out with vermilion ink, with the added "R" also in vermilion ink. (Photo on right). https://www.ebay.com/itm/234914575007

xtal_01

Quote from: poplar1 on April 06, 2023, 11:18:59 PMOn Ebay, I found another 4H with the W marked out with 3 lines in the metal.

WOW ... so mine has a W stamped out with an R stamped in it   .... the one from the old phone shop has the W stamped out and an r inked in ... and  yours has the W inked out and the R inked in

I have no problem believing mine started its life as a number 4 but then why was there a W and not an R ?

Very odd indeed.

FABphones

I have been following this thread here and elsewhere where it has also been discussed in detail.

To bring anyone who may have missed it into sync, the latest thinking there is that it was a 4CB dial. The dial used in linemen's / CO technician's test sets. Issued with a B-type number plate (149B), the number plate being swapped out. Therefore explaining why the W and R.

If this is so, I would think many were obtained and adapted, perhaps by a refurb house, which may account for the difference in inking.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

poplar1

Quote from: FABphones on April 07, 2023, 03:53:41 AM...perhaps by a refurb house, which may account for the difference in inking.

Here is a thread about an original 1937 4C dial, with a good photo that needs to be rotated. I can't read the terminal designations, but they must be Y BK BB W.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13523.msg141416#msg141416

The 2A --> 4H conversions with vermilion ink R overstamp were no doubt done at the Western Electric Repair Shops located in the WE Distributing Houses, not some independent refurbisher. They are often found on Bell System 302s (marked on handset), and the vermilion ink is consistent with other WE stamps.

FABphones

Quote...vermilion ink R overstamp were no doubt done at the Western Electric Repair Shops located in the WE Distributing Houses, not some independent refurbisher. They are often found on Bell System 302s (marked on handset), and the vermilion ink is consistent with other WE stamps

Thank you. I should have fully written 'which may account for the difference in the designations being either inked or etched out'.

Quote from: poplar1 on April 07, 2023, 04:57:19 AM...an original 1937 4C dial, with a good photo that needs to be rotated. I can't read the terminal designations, but they must be Y BK BB W.

Image rotated, attached. Adjusted image properties slightly but unfortunately designations still somewhat illegible.

—-

Side by side image attached showing Mike's dial and linked dial for easy comparison.

poplar1

FABphones

I do not like to guess but in my experience (unfortunately) these ink stamped marks do come off with the use of some cleaning/polishing products.

Any stamp if there perhaps removed by a restorer at some point during its long existence, way back when these things did not matter as much as they did/do to many of us now. Oh heck - that was a guess after all...  :-[

xtal_01

Quote from: FABphones on April 07, 2023, 09:44:12 AMway back when these things did not matter

Wow ... fantastic amount of information here!

Yes, I always try to  preserve any marks I can, but I see a few people don't seem to be as careful.

Thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!