News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

BK Precision 1045/1050 Telephone Tester - Sightings!

Started by AE_Collector, July 30, 2014, 10:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Quote from: kleenax on May 17, 2018, 02:43:49 PM
Very nice post DSK!  I too have several very good, life-long friends that I have met through telephone collecting; it IS a very special hobby indeed.

PS: I sure wish we all knew each other's "real" names on here; of course, maybe some of you like it just the way it is! ;-)

Warm regards to all,

Ray Kotke (aka Kleenax)

Agreed! I feel I have a lot of friends I have never met, and some I have, through this hobby.

Harry Smith (aka HarrySmith)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Agreed, well said dsk. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses and together we all help each other with our hobby. I know that if I have a problem with a circuit or need to design something to make something else work, Dag (dsk) will almost certainly draw something up and help out from 9 time zones away.

Many use their real names and others don't. I have my handle but almost always sign with my first name. To each their own, no set requirements in this area. I've often thought that a "button" by our screen name and Avatar would be a nice forum feature that when pushed would reveal the real name of a member ONLY if the member has agreed to this in his account set up AND if the member pushing the button is logged in. Just as a quick reminder of who is who. My memory is short! Of course there is the CRPF Criss Cross directory that I need to update again soon.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17572.0

Terry

FABphones

Quote from: HarrySmith on May 17, 2018, 03:06:11 PM
Agreed! I feel I have a lot of friends I have never met, and some I have, through this hobby.

Harry Smith (aka HarrySmith)

I have never met another phone collector, ever.
But I'll take this opportunity to say again, my appreciation goes out to all who take the time to reply to my posts with help and encouragement. Thank you.

CJ (aka FabPhones)

ETA: I would love a 1050 but I don't think they had them available in Blighty.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

dsk

Thank you for that positive feedback, it felt just important to share that feelings.
dsk are just short for my full name: Dag Ståle Karlsen.
It is a pretty tough name to pronounce for many non Norwegian tongues.  :o

dsk

Haf

Quote from: dsk on May 17, 2018, 03:31:00 PM

It is a pretty tough name to pronounce for many non Norwegian tongues.  :o

Dag, I lived in Carinthia, Austria for while as you maybe remember. In regional accent the å is pronounced same, like an O. For example the city of Klagenfurt, pronounced Klågenfuat in Carinthian dialekt. So I always pronounced Ståle like Stole :)

My real name, well, no real secret but leads to missinterpretations by english speaking people. Glad my family name isn't "Dawn"

Till D. Beckers
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

HarrySmith

Quote from: FabPhones on May 17, 2018, 03:21:51 PM
ETA: I would love a 1050 but I don't think they had them available in Blighty.

They come up ocassionally over there. That is the reason for this topic, when a member spots one they put it up here for anyone interested. Keep watching, you will find one eventually.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

A new BK1045 listed today at a better price. Opening bid $60 or BIN $85. Free shipping within the US makes it a "deal" I would say.

Is everything normal on the back of this one? Several holes in plastic but nothing there? Power cord upper right side I guess.

Terry

oldguy

Thanks for posting that Terry. I was just going to do the same. I haven't seen one at a good price in a long time. I have a 1045A, great tool. I don't know the difference between a 1045 & a 1045A.
Gary

Key2871

I'm always Leary when they picture it with out power on.
I bought a couple like that years ago, got burned on one, the second one didn't work at first, but I replaced a capacitor and it worked perfectly.
KEN

AE_Collector

Here ya go .... 1050 for $50 and $30 shipping within the USA! Screaming deal on the deluxe tester!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183458202087

Terry

brookbam

Hi all,
This is my first post but I've been lurking on the site for about a year.

I grabbed the 1050 while the grabbing was good  :D

I've got the 1045A and also the RS tester. Haven't been on for over a week and just happened to check in today and saw this. I couldn't believe it was still available at that price.

The good news is a site member got it. The bad news is another site member didn't get it.

Mike

AE_Collector

Well at least a member got it. Unusually good deal. I have the 1050 and the RS tester.

My RS tester is giving me grief, function selection buttons flakey...now these ones work, later some others don't. One of those flat plastic strips that pushes into a connector. Cleaned it and reinserted but still flakey. If anyone has a RS tester with different problems let me know, you can have mine for shipping cost.

Terry

Doug Rose

I have been wanting to ask this question forever..... what do you use these for?

I have been refurbing telephones for almost 40 years and have never needed anything besides another line....and spare parts. In the beginning I had two POTS lines. When we went to Comcast (we now have Verizon) I purchased a Panasonic 616. Still have it....runs like a champ. I bought a 308 as a back years ago at a yard sale...finally sold it. The 616 is great! Just keeps on running. I use it on my test bench and for my rotary phones to play in the world outside my home.

I am confident that when I refurb a phone and say it works...it works, unless the carrier does not support rotary dial.

What am I missing by not owning one of these?  This is a sincere question and not meant to be confrontational. ...thanks...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

I've not seen the BK 1050 for sale in the UK (I do keep a lookout though) but I bought a similar thing, I got it to gauge the pulses on dials. I have a box or two of dials which need fixing up. It will come in handy where any dial needs attention, especially the phones I buy in France as those older dials are very often in need of repair and the calibration is all over the place.

This is the version I have:

'BT line tester 422a designed to test telephone lines by dividing the line and the exchange line circuit thus giving total control, designed to work to the exchange neg 50v supply or 240v ac mains. MF tones are detected by the built in detector and indicated on a led display, dial speed and ratio tests can be carried out'.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble