News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

3/59 500 -- what color is this really?

Started by baldopeacock, September 01, 2010, 10:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

That's great that it turned out so well.  Nice phone, nice buy.

baldopeacock

Was there a definite transition date from tenite to the newer plastic within 1959?   Seems like I've read July or thereabouts.   I'm also not sure when the switch from leather feet to the waffle-tread neoprene happened but I was thinking about the same time period.

Dennis Markham

For colored sets the transition from Tenite to ABS was made about June of 1959.  I have seen soft plastic colored sets as late as mid June of '59.  Black sets were found to be soft plastic into the mid 1960's.  The switch from suede to Neoprene feet occurred about late August of 1958, a year earlier.

Kenny C

congratulations i hope you both have many happy years together ;) i need to put pictures of my stuff i got saturday .
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

baldopeacock

Finally had time to open this one up a few minutes ago.   It's all date matching.  Case is 2-25-59, cord strain relief dates are both 59, dial is 3-59,  network 3-59, handset elements are 2-20-59 and 2-23-59, ringer is farthest off at 1-59.   I'm feeling pretty lucky for my first eBay 500 buy.   

Dan

With good luck like this, it won't be your last buy--what out, it's addicting! ;)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright