News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How To Find & Sell Vintage Rotary Phones - You-Tube Video

Started by Dennis Markham, January 28, 2010, 03:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Stumbled on this video.  The woman calls herself the Ebay Selling Coach.  She has tips for selling phones on eBay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-qMZn1rRww

You will recognize some of the listings that have recently closed including the W.E. 591 with the A.E. Dial and one of Finlover's Aqua Blue 500's.

No wonder so many people are selling phones these days!

~Dennis

Steve

I blew coffee out my nose when she said

"the uglier the color, the more they sell for"

then she highlights the black modular phone as a good candidate for resale. for $35.00 ?!?!
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Dennis Markham

That's why some sellers with black modular phones think they're worth $75.  Not much profit in that one.

Kidphone I think she was muscling in on your territory out there in Boston! :)

Wallphone

A phone is a phone is a phone. Except for the ugly ones. They're better.
Why didn't she go to the bottom of the completed auctions and show all the ones that didn't get a bid?
Because it would of blown a big hole in her story.
Dougpav

McHeath

Quote"the uglier the color, the more they sell for"

Great line!  Clearly someone who does not have a lot of fondness for mid 20th century color schemes, especially since she then picks a black one to focus on. 

Saw that yellow 1957 500 variant we had up on our guess the bid price last week.

Dan/Panther

Those type people absolutely make me sick, they are right up there with lawyers and Used car salesmen.
Speculators are scummmmmmmmm.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

What bugs me is speculators looking for a profit, but with no real love and appreciation for the items. Sure I'd like to make a little profit on some of my phones at times, but only after lovingly and carefully refurbishing them. Just my .02.
-Matt

Wallphone

I like the ones that say "This used to be my Grandmother's".
Then why are you selling it?
A lot of sentimental feelings there.
Dougpav

Dennis Markham

Doug, what you wrote reminded me of a Stromberg Carlson wall phone I bought several years ago off eBay.  I paid a whopping $1.25 for it plus shipping.  The seller said it was his Grandfather's phone.  It was a mess.  It was the first time I had seen one like it---a 1543W.  After I transformed it into a nice phone I e-mailed the guy and sent him a photo of what it looked like.  I felt bad that I had his Grandfather's phone so I told him he could have it back for $1.25 plus shipping.  He said, that's OK, you keep it.  So I guess the moral of the story is some people have no sentimental attachment to things like old phones.  I still have it...nice phone.

McHeath

Yah, I've known more than a few folks who have zero sentimental connection to things.  Me, I can't toss anything, especially old familia stuff.  Others mileage may vary, and it sure is interesting to see people selling things that were awards their dad, mom, or whoever got in 1930.

Greg G.

I thought she would talk about how to properly display the phone on ebay, e.g. don't just take one fuzzy picture with the handset on the cradle and that's it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 28, 2010, 03:57:47 PM
That's why some sellers with black modular phones think they're worth $75.  Not much profit in that one.

Kidphone I think she was muscling in on your territory out there in Boston! :)

WHAT!!!
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I have a 1978 beige ringerless SC 500 which I wouldn't sell for anything.  I bought the phone in 1978 for my grandparents and installed it in their living room where they used it for several years.  It isn't worth much to anyone, but to me it is worth plenty (even though I don't like beige).

Larry