News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Box of Junk

Started by Sargeguy, November 28, 2010, 04:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I was looking at my bidding page this morning and noticed that I was in the lead for a 302 at $19.99+$12.95 S&H.  What was I thinking?  A 302 with the wrong cord and a #6 dial with worn plate for #33? When I won it I realized that I had bid because the seller was the next town over and I thought I could save the $12.95.  As I am e-mailing to ask, the guy calls me and asks if I want to pick it up.  I said I'll be right there.  When I get there the guy tells me he has a bunch of other stuff he wants me to look at.  Long story short, I buy his box of junk for $75.

Western Electric D-1 with E-1 handset and #4 dial with celluloid dial plate
Western Electric 684A subset with a chip in the bottom
Western Electric candlestick style microphone
Western Electric 295A ringer box/subset w Stromberg Carlson network

He also had a really nice 3-slot from 1955 that was missing its vault but otherwise complete, but CHristmas is coming and I am a little short.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The dial plate is a little odd.  It is unmarked and there is a little tab that juts out from the back (at 10 o'clock in the picture)

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

Sargeguy,

$75 for that junk is not a bad deal.  That dial plate looks like a celluloid one.  Handle it VERY carefully.  Don't spray any liquids onto it or rub it.

Larry

Sargeguy

Thanks.  I think the matching dates, perfect paint, D-1 with seamles E-1 handset and 4H dial with celluloid dial plate, and intact suede might fetch $75 on a good day  ;D.  The 684-A is about $50 without the crack, and the microphone ???  $15 for parts?  I plan to use the S-C subset as a doorstop.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

I agree Greg, the D1 and it's parts made it worth the trip.  Unfortunately the way those D1's have been selling, the parts are probably worth more than the total phone.  The E1 and 4H dial separately would bring more than the $75.

Sargeguy

I was being a little facetious-although D-1 (and even B-1) prices have been dismal (or awesome if you are buying), E-1 and 4H prices have been nutty lately.  I bought a couple manual D-1s with E-1s for the same price an E-1 fetched yesterday.  Its as if the D-1s set drags down the value because of the extra postage or something.  Still,  I think this phone, now that its clean should fetch at least $125 if I list it properly and describe all its features.  Not that I would sell my precious...

I just finished vacuuming all the debris out of the S-C subset and to my delight discovered that it is a WECO 295 with a big dumb S-C network stuck in it.  Its not oak, maybe maple?  it is missing the part of the lock that goes on the door and some screws but otherwise the hardware seems intact.

The 684A is dated 1936 and is minty with the exception of the chunk missing from the shell.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

If you really want a good subset cover, Ray Kotke makes replacement 584/684 covers that are identical to the originals.  They come in black and ivory.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

Thanks, I think I'll leave it as is.  The chunk isn't that big 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409