"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1938 Black WE 302

Started by Craig T, January 21, 2011, 07:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Quote from: Craig T on January 22, 2011, 07:37:08 PM
Thanks guys! Larry, this is my 4th 302 now, I had better establish a firm quota while there is still time  :)
Word Up...I have 35 302s......Doug
Kidphone

Kenny C

How many phones do you have doug?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Craig T

This is what it turned out like...lots of chips but I wanted to keep the original paint on it.

bingster

Looks great, Craig.  I'd have kept the paint on this one, too
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

Kidphone

AE_Collector

baldopeacock

Quote from: bingster on January 24, 2011, 07:31:18 PM
Looks great, Craig.  I'd have kept the paint on this one, too

Just curious:  with an original paint phone like this, how do some of you feel about carefully touching up scratches and chips, but not doing an overall refinish?

Certainly an argument to be made for "all original", character marks included.   In your opinion, do you hurt the originality by carefully filling the chips/scratches with matching paint?

Wallphone

If you know how to touch up a paint job on a phone and have it look nice, then do it. And when you are finished please share your technique with the rest of us.  ;)

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: Wallphone on January 25, 2011, 11:44:57 AM
If you know how to touch up a paint job on a phone and have it look nice, then do it. And when you are finished please share your technique with the rest of us.  ;)
A touch will always look like a touch up. Even black would be almost impossible to match when the original is over 70 years old. It's your phone and your choice, me; I'd leave it as it is. Just my humble opinion....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I vote for a touch-up, except for rare and valuable phones.  Even though the paint will not match perfectly, from a few feet away, a carefully touched up phone looks much better than one with alot of chips.  I have used black automotive touch-up paint in a little tube with the brush attached to the inside of the cap, but it is a bit too thick to apply properly.  If it can be thinned a bit, it would work well.

Larry

Doug Rose

If you are leaning towards touch up, try a black sharpie first. It will wipe off with a little wax. Most sharpies are black with a purple hue, but you can find them that look black when dry. They will look really nice from a short distance...Doug
Kidphone

baldopeacock

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 25, 2011, 02:22:43 PM
I vote for a touch-up, except for rare and valuable phones.  Even though the paint will not match perfectly, from a few feet away, a carefully touched up phone looks much better than one with alot of chips.  I have used black automotive touch-up paint in a little tube with the brush attached to the inside of the cap, but it is a bit too thick to apply properly.  If it can be thinned a bit, it would work well.

Larry

Automotive touch-up tubes are lacquer, which is easily thinned.  It also dries quickly and could be carefully wet-sanded to blend it. 

Some of the automotive touch-up tubes now have ballpoint-pen type tips at the top of the cap/brush and those tips work really well for small chips on the car.   

Patience and a light touch would be essential, but with some practice I'm thinking most touch-ups could be blended to the point of near invisibility.

Vern P

My take on this, as I uderstand it.   About the #5 dial, they were the new dial and were never a #4 refub. as was done in the #2 to #4.

In Larry Wolff's book, it tell the history of the back side of the dial, as to when it was painted, spoted sealed, and so on.  Some time I need to look at this info.  Yes there is also the new dial book out by Stan S. but I don't have this one.

About the base it self, The early one are more flat, as they don't have a bump under the captors, as the later ones do.  Didn't see a bottom photo of the base.

Touch up or not ?  I would not try and use paint.  A few mark add charter to these. If any thing I would use a sharpie, this will cover the marks from a far.

I picked up a early 302,('37 or '38) some time ago. It has a #4, I think the date matched, but not sure.  I will need to get it out and look. I will make a post about it later.

Vern P

PS There is a site, I belive it is Hal B. but not sure, that listed the date by quartes as to when thing were change on the early 302's.  This is info is not from BPS, but from what he as seen over the years working on them.  I have a print out, but I don't remember were the site was. I think this was posted on the ATCA list.

Wallphone

Here is the 302 time line chart that Vern mentioned. > http://vintagephone.com/HB302.htm <