News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How's Your Monitor?

Started by Mark Stevens, September 18, 2008, 09:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does your computer have a traditional monitor, or is it widescreen?

traditional
5 (83.3%)
widescreen
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: September 21, 2008, 09:51:18 PM

Mark Stevens

When designing websites, I try to allow for the aspect ratio and screen resolution used by visitors, and I got to wondering how many of you have widescreen monitors.  Thank you in advance for participating in this poll!

Bill Cahill

;D I'm happy to say NOT ME!!!!
Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

McHeath

My computer is pretty old, a 2000 model Mac, so it's prewidescreen.  The missus has a fairly new iMac and it's wide, and my work computer is as well.  Have to say that I don't really like it on a computer, like my screens tall.

Mark Stevens

My newest computer, close to a year old I believe, has a widescreen monitor, and I personally hope they don't become the standard.  I don't despise it, but my experience is that the format just isn't logical for computers.  I think the computer manufacturers and retailers are pushing them as part of their whole "use your computer for everything" marketing ploy, and want to entice people to view movies on them.  I've got a humongous TV... why should my computer be tailored for widescreen movies?  As I fiddle with websites, I find myself using a nifty Firefox add-on that re-sizes the window to fit 1024x768 or other resolution... just so I can see the sites the way other people do!

Bill Cahill

Yeh. Personally, I can't stand wide screen. Many times people's heads look shrunken, and, their bodies stretched.  I grew up oh full screen tv, and, that's the way I like it.

In a similar note, I HATE HDTV!!!!
;D Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Johnnysan

I use an old Sony Multiscan E200 CRT monitor.  It's worked fine for years.  I got it for free when a religious institution was moving.  Personally, I don't like the aspect ratio of wide screen.

Dan/Panther

If the aspec ratio has to letterbox a picture, I don't like it either, but when the screen is wide in proportion to the movie shown, and the movie is shown with an anamorphic lens then it's great. Without the proper lens, they use what is called Pan and Scan, very bad.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson