News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My pet peeve

Started by Kenny C, August 13, 2010, 01:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

lol we all talk to each other like we are all one big disfunctional family ;) I am kidding you guys you are some of my best  friends :)
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

Kenny since you are a young teen (14 or 15) what sparked your interest in rotary phones, outdated technology before you were born?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Kenny C

it all starteed with a 1959 SC 500 then a 1955 WE 500. I do not really know why i like them. My friends are weirded out by it but i think they feel inferior because they cant use one ;) ha ha they all think i am ancient
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

most people are shocked that i a 14 yr old can use a record player and type on a type writer and have old telephones
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

HarrySmith

Yeah, that's why I love this form, no intolerance :)
I one time posted about the Toyota gas pedal recalls (clearly labeled off topic) because I am a Toyota Service Manager and I knew some people would be interested in getting some real info, I got great feedback from a lot of people who were very grateful to get the info but, I also got berated by at least half a dozen members and even had some calling for me to be banned :o
I know we are all about phones but people have other things in their lives and friendly discussions and dissemination of information should not be discouraged :D
BTW: I also straighten cords when I find them twisted, I always have, without even thinking about it and long before I got into phones. The TP thing is not an issue, as long as it is there when I need it. My other "thing" is screws on light switches and outlet covers, they all have to be vertical ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Harry:  You didn't make it clear that you posted about the Toyota recalls on the TCI list, not here on Classic Rotary Phones forum. Probably everyone understood what you were getting at anyway.

I remember your post about Toyota. I think you posted pictures as well and even though i don't have a Toyota, I went to the picture place to check them out. It didn't cross my mind that you probably got some private emails berating you for that. At the time since there was much confusion about the recalls I thought that it would be good for some of the list members who owned Toyota's to have someone in the know to turn to.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 14, 2010, 08:03:18 AM
My other "thing" is screws on light switches and outlet covers, they all have to be vertical ;D

There is only one thing more important than having light switch screws vertical and that is the two big chrome screws on the front of the AE 50's!

Terry

McHeath

Gee Harry, people called for you to be banned over creating an off topic post about the Toyota recalls???

That won't happen here, thankfully. 

HarrySmith

Yeah, I was really shocked at the reaction from a few people. The majority, such as Terry, were happy about the info I posted as at that point there was a lot of confusion and media hype over what was going on. Most of the people in both ATCA & TCI are really great but there are a few that are just plain A***holes. I enjoy the fact that this list has an off topic category and I enjoy reading the posts ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

mariepr

On the topic of phones being hung up "wrong", has anyone encountered a stick phone specifically made for left handed users?  I'm not referring to someone opening up a phone and twisting the switch hook over to the right side - but a genuine, "made for lefties" candlestick phone?

Dan/Panther

Quote from: mariepr on August 15, 2010, 10:47:44 AM
On the topic of phones being hung up "wrong", has anyone encountered a stick phone specifically made for left handed users?  I'm not referring to someone opening up a phone and twisting the switch hook over to the right side - but a genuine, "made for lefties" candlestick phone?

Mariepr;
Don't know if I welcomed you yet, but welcome to our world.
I didn't know they made them. Do you have one and can you post a photo.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AE_Collector

Quote from: mariepr on August 15, 2010, 10:47:44 AM

What would the difference be? The perch just has to be flipped over so that the phone can be rotated 180 degrees putting the receiver and hook on the right side instead of the left side. Of course this only works with less dial sticks. Consequently I can't imagine them producing a specific non dial stick in the reverse configuration.

Terry

bwanna

wow...i can't believe so many guys have such a strong opinion on the toilet paper roll :D i am in agreement that it should roll off the top. i have a thing about rugs being straight. when i am waiting for a customer to answer the door...i will straighten the doormat if it is crooked ::)
harry..the screw thing is a little over the top, tho ;)

welcome, mariepr!
donna

McHeath

I've spent much of my life as a masked crusader for TP rolling over the top.  Many a citizen's bathroom has received my intervention so that the forces of goodness and light are not defeated by TP rolling off the roll backwards.
;)

AE_Collector

They should print instructional arrows on the top only! That would eliminate the confusion....

Terry