News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My "Daily Driver"

Started by newskeeto, October 15, 2012, 11:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newskeeto

This is the phone that I use every day.  It is a Western Electric model 500 that was made in 1959, and refurbished in 1966.  I really love the long four-prong cord.  The sticker on the handset has local phone numbers on it and glows in the dark. 

LarryInMichigan

Ahh, the ubiquitous funeral home sticker.  It seems that every small city and rural area had those. 

Larry

AE_Collector

Just in case you kick off while on the phone!

Terry

newskeeto

Back then, the ambulance service was owned by the funeral home.  Notice that they have the same phone number.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: newskeeto on October 16, 2012, 01:23:54 AM
Back then, the ambulance service was owned by the funeral home.  Notice that they have the same phone number.

I know that it was common for the same guy in town to own multiple businesses like the ambulance company, taxi cabs, towing, etc., but that it scary.  I wonder how much incentive they had to rush people to the hospital in an ambulance :o

Larry

jsowers

Frequent watchers of The Andy Griffith Show may recall the Mayberry Funeral Parlor also used their hearse to pickup and deliver broken TVs because they also owned the TV repair shop next door.

In a small town in my county, the funeral home is beside a furniture store, both owned by the same family for several generations.
Jonathan

twocvbloke

Quote from: jsowers on October 16, 2012, 08:44:03 AMIn a small town in my county, the funeral home is beside a furniture store, both owned by the same family for several generations.

I guess the sadly deceased get a discount on funerals if they trade in their furniture at the same time too... :D

jsowers

Quote from: twocvbloke on October 16, 2012, 09:58:39 AM
I guess the sadly deceased get a discount on funerals if they trade in their furniture at the same time too... :D

Probably not, but I think originally it was the furniture company who made the wooden caskets, back in the day. Although most of us don't think of furniture and caskets in the same thought!
Jonathan

newskeeto

I have not had anyone over here who has really noticed my phones, but I still enjoy using them.  I also like to rotate my "daily drivers" every once in a while.  I just purchased my first soft plastic model 500, so once I want to, I will probably use that one for a while.

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: Dave F on October 17, 2012, 09:58:12 PM
Way to go!  Nothing like a genuine WE 500 set to let the world know where you stand.  Do any visitors ever comment on it?  I occasionally rotate my "daily drivers" to keep things interesting.  Sometimes a rotary-dial phone and sometimes touchtone, but always vintage WE (currently a beige 2500 with G6 amplified handset).  People just shake their heads in disbelief when they see that I'm using these antiques.  They would probably be less put off to see some kind of cheap, modern, foreign piece of **** sitting on my table, but that type of junk is Persona Non Grata in my house.  It's kinda fun when somebody asks to use my phone and I make them "dial" their number on a 302 (eww, but it's so heavy!)
I agree with you on the modern piece of crap phones! I am 14, probably one of the youngest collectors and members here, and I have never touched a smartphone, and I never want to! I use my Western Electric 500s! Right now my main phone is a W.E. 500 from 1961. All matching dates inside. I have a 1903 hand crank wall phone, 3 W.E. model 500s, one 302, and a W.E. TrimLine. I want to get a 2500 soon!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16759.0
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

Greg G.

My DD for a while now has been the last phone I bought, a black 5302.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e