News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 233G conversion In Progress

Started by HarrySmith, September 22, 2018, 02:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I swapped in a different network, a WE 425 from an old 500. Same results. I guess I am going to have to look at the dial wiring since everything else looks good.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

The dial opens one side of the line for pulses. The other switches close to shunt the receiver.
So that doesn't make sense.... I thought you were using an ITT network, but with so many posts...
Do you have a millimeter? Or continuity tester?
What I would do is check hook switch contacts, dial contacts, etc. Then check for a potential to everything else to see if something has grounded, or shorted to something else.
Then connect the bare essentials to power the network, and check for stray voltage to other places.
That is odd, sounds like you have tried to isolate everything, but something's still an issue.
Good luck Harry.
KEN

poplar1

If you want to test it with the upper housing removed, you can short the transfer contacts  below the hookswitch as follows:

Top one (with W marked in pencil) with 3rd one
2nd one with 4th one

This should give you dial tone, and the hookswitch should disconnect the line and the receiver when  you hang up.
This is easy to do if you happen to have some test leads with alligator clips on each end. (Radio Shack used to sell a set of 4: red, green, yellow and black.)

Also, since you are making this a non-coin phone anyway,  you can lose the connections on the terminal strip at the top of the backboard: Just move the black handset wire from T on strip to B on network, and the red and white handset wires from TR on terminal strip to R on the network.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

Thanks again for all the help. I just put this project on hold. I was hoping to have one done by now but that did not work out. My wife has been away for a week and I kind of took over the house with this project and made quite a mess. I need to get things cleaned up as she will be home tomorrow! Plus I still have grocery shopping to do! I will report when I get back on it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Butch Harlow

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 23, 2018, 05:38:44 PM
Thanks again for all the help. I just put this project on hold. I was hoping to have one done by now but that did not work out. My wife has been away for a week and I kind of took over the house with this project and made quite a mess. I need to get things cleaned up as she will be home tomorrow! Plus I still have grocery shopping to do! I will report when I get back on it.

Ha! Somebody knows what side his bread is buttered on. I have a similar problem, but just a small apartment to contain it all. I regularly pack it all away, just to get it all back out for the next project. I try to be good, because I am hoping to soften her up for the day I drag a phone booth home, lol.
Butch Harlow

Quote from: Butch Harlow on September 23, 2018, 05:53:53 PM
I try to be good, because I am hoping to soften her up for the day I drag a phone booth home, lol.

When you bring the booth home, just tell her it is an extra closet. She will be all smiles. :)

HarrySmith

Yup ;)
My work area is restricted to one corner of the dining room table, very little space. If we are having any guests even that little bit get's packed up & put away. This past week I had payphones & payphone stuff all over the table, dining room, living room & part of the kitchen! If she ever saw that I would be in the dog house for sure! Still working on cleaning it all up, just sat down to take a break! I did not realize all the stuff I had out!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Gotta keep the wife happy, I know all about that.
Happy wife, happy life.
KEN

HarrySmith

OK, I am back to this project. I now have the phone painted in Dolphin's colors & reassembled. I have removed all the payphone stuff form the coin track to the coin box retainer. There are no contacts or boards in it. I have conneceted the handset & the hookswitch. I am not concerned with a ringer for now.  I hooked my line cord up and I have dialtone. I am using a WE network from a 500, a 425. My question is about the dial. Where do I make connections? I do not have the phone in front of me as I am at work. I do not recall all the wire colors. I can update this post tonight if needed with them.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

The dial wiring is as follows:
BB = Blue
R   = Red
BK = Black
Y   = Yellow
W   = White

What are the connections to the 425B network?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Got it wired & working! Thanks to Larry C. from the ATCA. He provided me with a hand drawn diagram which worked perefectly.

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Now that I have this working I am trying to finish it up. Next is a ringer, can anyone tell me where a ringer would be wired in this drawing? I tried L1 & L2 as usual with no luck. I also tried A & K. Also if one of our artistic members could draw this up in a better, easier to read diagram so it can be saved for the future.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

It depends on what ringer you are using.
If it has just two wires, wire it in series with the cap K n A and the telephone line.
In other words, one side of the of ringer will get wired into a loop with the cap A n K with the line. Ringer to A, Tip of the line to K, the other ringer lead to Ring of the line.

If it's a P type ringer, as found in trimline phone's designer sets etc. Wire it the same as above.
If it's a C type ringer, red ringer to Ring, line. Black ringer to Tip, the slate to K, slate red to A. The ringer should work.
If it's an H type from a later series 565-2565 set, wire it as in the first diagram. In series with the cap.
KEN

HarrySmith

It turns out my problem was not wiring, the ringer I was using is no good. I tried it outside the phone and could only get 1 weak ring out of it. I hooked up a 500 ringer which worked fine but I have no place to mount it. I am going with a 2 wire ringer from a 302 mounted in the coin vault. Getting close to the end on this project!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

A ringer from a ITT 800 series set is small enough to fit, or a Western P1A would work well. Those get wired in series with the cap. I'm going out to my shed today, want me to take a look?
KEN