News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 306G?

Started by Fabius, May 30, 2015, 09:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

Received this party line phone today from eBay. It is not marked with a model number. I think it is a 306G. Everything is dated 1953. I haven't checked the dial. The handset is a F1W. Elements are all dated 8/53, even the caps are dated 8/53. The base and everything on it is dated 53. The inside of the plastic shell in a yellowish green ink is: 28    53 12. I'm not sure about the 1 as it is smeared.

According to Paul F's excellent 302 web site a 306G should be marked H14. This shell is stamped in orange H1 with 3 horizontal lines. The shell has the Lift Plunger... markings stamped into the cradle and the correct hardware inside the shell.

Western Electric took a 1953 base and modified a 302 shell to make a 306G and just didn't change the H1 marking?

Another interesting thing is that the F1W handset with is dated 8/53 and is probably original to the phone is the type sold to independent phone companies (it's not marked Bell System). The number on the number card is 717-838-5476. That exchange is Hershey, Pennsylvania which was served by an independent company.

Thoughts and comments welcome.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

poplar1

In the same table, Paul shows the 302AA [manual] and 302AC [dial] with H13 tel set mountings, and notes that some are marked "H1" rather than "H13."

Since your phone does not have a cold cathode tube, I believe you have a 302ACW rather than a 306GW.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Fabius

Okay thanks, makes sense. I was thinking 306G since Paul's site doesn't mention the tube being in the 306G.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

paul-f

Good point, Tom.

The implication was that the 306G has components like any other 306, plus the "Lift Plunger..." feature.  I've added some clarifying text.

In any case, the charts don't come close to capturing all the info in the BSPs. 

When in doubt, read the BSPs.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Fabius

Thanks. So 302AC it is.  :(  Somehow 306G sounds more exotic.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905