"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1937 Ivory D1--Another Long Shot

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, August 24, 2018, 11:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 25, 2018, 03:19:53 PM
Christian...The second pic you posted looks like a Brown Bakelite E1 which is a tough find in itself. All the years I have been looking I have ovly found ONE....Doug
Here is a pic of my gold 202. Handset paint could not be saved but the brown bakelite E1 looked fine on it.  good luck......Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7326.msg81987#msg81987
Kidphone

Pourme

The brown handset does look good...the brown in the number card is a nice touch too...
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

poplar1

Doug, is this a dates-matching phone?
I'm trying to see if there were any brown handsets made before II 34.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

The D1 arrived in the mail today. The first thing I pulled out of the box was the handset. I unscrewed the receiver cap...to find the inside brown! ;D I took it apart further...

Transmitter element: 2-37
Receiver element: IV 37
4J Dial: IV 37
Base: IV37
HS Cord: IV 37 (Brown, not Ivory)
Line Cord: III 37 (Brown, not Ivory)

The entire handset appears to be brown Bakelite, and every component is painted darker Ivory underneath. The cords appear date-matching, but are Brown instead of Ivory.

The whole thing appears to have been painted with wall paint, so that makes chemical removal much easier. That "makeshift boot" on the handset cord is really just a section of the cord cover that was cut off and glued to the handset. It separated with no effort, but it did take a small amount of original paint with it.

Unfortunately, the only downside to this is that the transmitter and receiver cups are stuck, so I'll have to work around them. I can't access the handset end of the handset cord, so I'll have to include that in the workaround. Whoever painted this was not careful around the Celluloid dial plate. Any ideas on how to remove that without damaging the plate?

Things are definitely looking up here, anyway! Appears to be an all-dates matching 1937 Ivory D1! 8)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WEBellSystemChristian

Dates:
Christian Petterson

Doug Rose

Real nice Christian!  The receiver and the transmitter cups will come out with your E1 tool. Careful not to chip that brown Bakelite ;D Nice hit....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 30, 2018, 04:39:36 PM
Real nice Christian!  The receiver and the transmitter cups will come out with your E1 tool. Careful not to chip that brown Bakelite ;D Nice hit....Doug

Thanks Doug! I don't have an actual E1 disassembly tool for the caps, but I think I'll work around the problem anyway...I'm afraid of damaging the paint and handset, like you mentioned.

I found it interesting that this 4J is actually white. The other Ivory D1s I've seen (along with metallic sets) had color matching or stripped dial casings.

Oh, and I got the receiver cap stripped. Took 4 hours...that paint was slathered on pretty thick. :o
Christian Petterson

Doug Rose

Cap is great....I hope the rest of the E1 and D1 treats you as well.. So far so good. I have never seen a 4J in my hand..only seen the pictures. I am still looking for one. Super find!....good luck my friend...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

I believe all 4J and 5J dials had white cases.

When the thermoplastic color 302s were introduced (1941), the stainless steel finger wheel was changed to Lucite on new 5Js.

Pre-1937 ivory  202s had ivory (dash 4) 4H dials: ivory cases and ivory finger wheels.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotarDad

Great results so far, Christian- that phone ended up in the right hands!  Great to hear the repaint will come off relatively easily.
Paul