News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Craigslist bonanza!

Started by Pourme, April 28, 2016, 01:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

Wow, Those 302s are beautiful. I think the "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" policy worked well in this situation & yes I have used it in the past & will probably use it again. But the wife on my side seems to make the house hold run smoother.
Gary

Pourme

Quote from: oldguy on May 03, 2016, 01:10:09 PM
Wow, Those 302s are beautiful. I think the "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" policy worked well in this situation & yes I have used it in the past & will probably use it again. But the wife on my side seems to make the house hold run smoother.

I understand that 110%....She's coming around on the phone collection situation....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Pourme

As I said...I'm still like a kid at Christmas, going from one piece to another. Today I took the D-1 in the worst shape exterior body wise and missing inside parts with a 11/39 4H dialer, and removed the dialer, opened it up cleaned and lubed it (I did not disassemble the gears, not that brave yet).

I took the B1 extension that for some odd reason doesn't have a date stamped on the inside.  I married the two.

I did a Novis 2 &1 clean and buffing on the B1 and one of the E1 hand sets with a 3/36 transmitter element. Wiring and cordage will come later.

This gives me a attractive B1 to set on my desk to admire instead of populating the work bench out of sight.

I think my pieces match up fairly well date/era wise. I haven't done anything that can't be corrected.

Thoughts?
Benny

Pourme

Quite a romp through time in these six phones on my desk. Just thought I'd share.
Benny

AL_as_needed

Need a bigger desk for your time romping by the looks of that buy.  ;D
TWinbrook7

Pourme

Quote from: AL_as_needed on May 03, 2016, 02:39:41 PM
Need a bigger desk for your time romping by the looks of that buy.  ;D

The to do list in the phone room just got bigger, for sure....
Benny

poplar1

There's no date on the B1 because it is the earlier (ca. 1928) version with holes for attaching the cord restraints, rather than lugs. B1s were not dated until 1929.

The dial has a 1939 date, but that is a conversion or rebuild date. 4H dials were made from 1930-1938, but your dial was originally a 2A (1920-1932) from an older phone. 2As were used on desk stands (candlesticks), wall phones, and pay phones. Notice that the original "W" terminal has been restamped "R." This was done when the dial was converted from a 2A to a 4H.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on April 28, 2016, 02:04:26 PM
Is this the one referred to as a ashtray?

Just as an FYI, it do believe by ashtray you may have meant this phone.

which is posted on the forum and another different and not quite as shiny phone

in the same topic on the forum.

These were posted about 3 years ago but are still eye candy to many.

Pourme

Quote from: poplar1 on May 03, 2016, 07:02:43 PM
There's no date on the B1 because it is the earlier (ca. 1928) version with holes for attaching the cord restraints, rather than lugs. B1s were not dated until 1929.

The dial has a 1939 date, but that is a conversion or rebuild date. 4H dials were made from 1930-1938, but your dial was originally a 2A (1920-1932) from an older phone. 2As were used on desk stands (candlesticks), wall phones, and pay phones. Notice that the original "W" terminal has been restamped "R." This was done when the dial was converted from a 2A to a 4H.

Thanks Poplar1, That enplanes a lot. I appreciate that information. Interesting that makes it one of the oldest phones in that group but in the best condition as well.

I spoke with Jim, the ex Western Electric employee that sold me this lot today and shared with him some pics of this and the Pekin Red phone and he told me the name of the Detroit hotel he took the D1's and B1's out of. It was the Fort Shelby Hotel (http://tinyurl.com/jk8bnvd). It was placed on The National Register of Historic places in 1983 according to Wikipedia.

That was kinda cool to find out.
Benny

Pourme

Quote from: TelePlay on May 03, 2016, 07:19:07 PM
Just as an FYI, it do believe by ashtray you may have meant this phone.

which is posted on the forum and another different and not quite as shiny phone

in the same topic on the forum.

These were posted about 3 years ago but are still eye candy to many.

Eye candy for sure!...That is is one beautiful phone!

Thanks for that pic!
Benny

WEBellSystemChristian

Let me get this straight...you just cleaned that Pekin Red off? No polish, wax, wetsanding, etc? ??? If that's the case, that would have to be the single best phone transformation I have ever seen without ANY means of actual restoration! :o
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Pourme

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on May 03, 2016, 09:36:48 PM
Let me get this straight...you just cleaned that Pekin Red off? No polish, wax, wetsanding, etc? ??? If that's the case, that would have to be the single best phone transformation I have ever seen without ANY means of actual restoration! :o

I used Novis 2 and the Robi buffer then Novis 1....Cleaned the cord....emoved the finger dial and cleaned with car wax....No sandpaper involved....Oh!... Polished the gongs!

I'm used to cleaning cars...This is way easier because of the size!
Benny

Pourme

I shy away from the use of the word "restoration" because of the folks that truly do restoration work....

What I did was basic cleaning....
Benny

Mr. Bones

Beautiful Job!!!

Amazed, and somewhat jealous, here  ;)

Keep up the great work!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Pourme

Quote from: Mr. Bones on May 03, 2016, 09:53:31 PM
Beautiful Job!!!

Amazed, and somewhat jealous, here  ;)

Keep up the great work!
Thanks Mr Bones, I'm so excited about this purchase and I'm having a blast playing with these pieces!
Benny