News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1949 WE500, poss field trial set, just listed on ebay....

Started by david@london, November 26, 2018, 06:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

listed yesterday, starting bid $1,499.00, this WE500 is dated 4/49 and 9/50.......it put me in mind of D/P's amazing find, which i'm guessing is the 1948 set referred to in the description of this phone.

ebay link

This early production phone is perhaps one of the earliest sets known with a date of 4/49. A prototype base was found a few years back with a 1948 date, the base is different than the production model. This is a really nice Early 1949 Field Trial Western Electric 500 Single Line Desk Set. I believe this was a field trial set as there is a sticker on the bottom to return to a particular person – see pics. All components mounted on the base - ringer, equalizer and network are dated 49. See details below.

Apparently, the phone was returned to Bell Labs and reissued shortly thereafter as a production set. Early production was slow at first until after mid-1950. Very few 1950 sets are found either as a result. When this phone was reissued, a body, handset and handset cord change were made. Those parts are all dated 9/50. The handset elements are dated 9/50 as well.

The phone had a dial, but it was dated 11/54, so I put an early dial blank in its place. Dial will be included.

Ringer dated 4/49

Chassis dated 4/49

Network dated 3/49

Equalizer dated I 49

Handset dated 9/50

Transmitter dated III 50

Receiver Element dated 9/22/50

Handset cord dated 9/50

Line cord dated I-49

Dial dated 11/54

136 Stamped in Yellow next to 500 on Base – could be the Field Trial Instrument Number
Sticker on bottom says:

RETURN TO

J KOCAN

IC-246   ??MH

The body and handset plastics shine like new. The receiver cord is the hard to find straight black with shorter wire connector spades to connect to the equalizer. It is in very nice condition. Line cord is original to the base from 1949 and has spades and is in good condition.

david@london

Seller information
jfehl1 (1774 )
100% Positive feedback
Saved
Contact seller
See other items

Super Rare 1949 Western Electric Bell Labs 500 rotary phone telephone WOW!
Popular 3 viewed per hour
Condition:Used
Time left: Time left:6d 08h Monday, 12:33AM
Starting bid:US $1,499.00
[ 0 bids ]

Place bid -
Enter US $1,499.00 or more
Price:US $1,950.99 Buy It Now -

Pourme

Very interesting piece.

The auction it's self would be more interesting if the opening bid were lower, say $9.99? This one probably just disappear after someone makes the seller a offer under the radar. We shall see.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Dan/Panther

If I have this right, this makes Number 6 of the potential 4000, 49-500's still out there somewhere ?
I'll have to wait yet again.

D/P

Just to refresh everyone....

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

This ended with no one hitting the opening bid of $1499.  I know there has been question of value on Dan's great set. I think this establishes a value of less than $1500, but that could change if seller re-lists.

It is a starting point....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Rare-1949-Western-Electric-Bell-Labs-500-rotary-phone-telephone-WOW-/163396837510

?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

I would not even consider a value under $1,500.00. Those 49-500 sets have a known count of 4000 ( whether that many still exist is open for debate ), my set is the ONLY one known, that seems undisputed. Plus the listed set is very limited on it 49 parts. Too many later date substitutes. 
I have never even seen another dial like the one on my set, plus it has the Z designation, unique Network, unique ringer, unique hook switch set up. The parts alone would sell for over $1500.00.
I will be cremated with it.  ;D Doug you are without a doubt the KING of deals when it comes to collecting phones, but not this one !  ;)

D/P

Doug Rose

Thanks Dan...as you know I am not a 500 set guy. I thought the dates were good except the '50s handset receiver and transmitter. I thought 50 s for new distribution would have been acceptable especially if it might be a field trial as seller suggested....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

I think it was basically determined that D/P's set is a 1948 Prototype. ISTR that pretty much every component was at least slightly different than production models. Including the feet and plungers. I think the most complete 1949 set discovered was the one in the Seattle museum.
This is a 1949 set with many parts updated, I would guess high value on it between $300-$1,000.

Dan's set has the distinction of being the oldest 500 style found and the restoration process was highly detailed on  this forum as well as featured in  1 or both US based  telephone clubs. Many parts of the restoration required custom work that Dan was able to do, most collectors don't have his skill set.
I am guessing the resell value of his set in the $2,000-$10,000. A lot of the value is because of the documented research in restoring the phone. Note: that the original housing may of matched the patent drawings.

JMO,
Jim S.

I tried a quick search for the thread on Dan's phone, I couldn't find it. Could someone post the link to the  thread.
Thanks,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 04, 2018, 02:30:56 PM
Thanks Dan...as you know I am not a 500 set guy. I thought the dates were good except the '50s handset receiver and transmitter. I thought 50 s for new distribution would have been acceptable especially if it might be a field trial as seller suggested....Doug

Other examples I've seen were truly 49-500 throughout the phone. The one just listed was basically the base. Still a wonderful phone.

D/P