"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Yet Another Stromberg Carlson Wall Phone

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 11, 2011, 12:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

SC Phone

This appears to be Stromberg Carlson's answer to the Kellogg Grabaphone.  I tried once to buy one of these for $75 from a craigslist seller in Rochester, NY, but he didn't want to ship it.

Does anyone know the model number or date for this?  I am guessing mid to late 1920s.

Larry

paul-f

10-L Combination Telephone

(in Bulletin 1024, Fifth Edition, Jan 1921)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

GG

That also seems to qualify as an early "space saver."

I would guess, based on that handset, that it couldn't be any newer than the early 1920s. 

LarryInMichigan

Paul,

Thank you again for the information.  I found the bulletin on the telephonecollectors.info site.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

The phone arrived today.  It is in reasonably good condition.  The handset cord looks like it jest left the factory.  The handset has parts which are painted stamped steel and other parts which looks like they have been painted black over nickel (or nickel plate).  I would like to find out how the phone originally looked so that I can remove any paint which doesn't belong.

Though the handset looks a bit like the Kellogg Grabaphone, the construction is much different.  The grip and mouthpiece are both hard rubber, I believe.  I think that the receiver cap is bakelite.

I did a brief test of the handset, and both the transmitter and receiver work well.  I would like to add a Radio Shack capacitor inside the case and make this into a functioning phone if possible like I did with a Kellogg candlestick.  I realize that the inductor coil was intended for LB use though, so I don't know how practical an idea this is.

Larry

GG

Excellent!

First thing to do is check the receiver to see if it's magnetized (in which case it's an AC receiver, connect via capacitor only) or if it isn't (in which case it's a DC receiver, can be connected to DC). 

Others here can comment further on that point; but if you have an AC receiver do not connect it to DC voltage in the phone or it will eventually demagnetize (regardless of polarity) and go dead.