"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Using a 500 Set as a Subset for a non-dial Candlestick

Started by benhutcherson, September 26, 2008, 11:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhutcherson

Hello folks,
Just thought that I'd pass this one along to you all.

For a while now, I've had two candlestick telephones, but only one subset to share between the two of them. I also had a couple of "junk" 500 sets, including an old ITT set that was missing a bunch of parts and was in bad shape.

In the past, I experimented with using a 500 as a subset, however the 500 is designed in such a way that even with no handset connected, it will still be "off hook." (the 302 is not this way, and a stock 302 can be used as a subset with no trouble).

So, I sat down this evening and attempted to tackle the problem again. Through a series of trial and error experiments, I came up with the following set-up, which works perfectly.

First of all, I stripped down the 500 base to everything but the network and switchook. Alternatively, you can leave the ringer in place, although I elected to remove it since I have enough ringing phones anyway.

In any case, here's how the switchook gets wired:

S-G to L1
S-W to RR
S-Br to C

This part is all consistent with the WE diagrams for a non-dial set.

The remaining four wires(S, S-Y, S-BK, S-R) are not connected, and are taped off to prevent any problems.

The line connects to L1 and L2, as always.

Then, as per the WE wiring diagrams for 20AL and 40AL sticks,

Red to R
Green to GN
Yellow to L2

Or, for lower sidetone, Red goes to L2 and yellow goes to Y.

Of course, if you wanted a ringer, it would connect as normal.

Hope that this is helpful to someone else out there.

benhutcherson

I should also add that, since this is the rotary dial telephone forum, this same arrangement should also work for any sidetone dial candlestick or cradle phone.

I'm sure that there's also a way to do it with anti-sidetone candlesticks and cradle phones, but don't know right off the top of my head what that would be. I'll experiment tomorrow, and report back.

BDM

Very interesting, and great info. I've never experimented with wiring a CS or handset phone into the 425 network. I also have a subset that uses the 425 network(I believe the model number is 685, not sure though). Wired several 101 networks into early subsets. Like you said, easy. Last, the 425 network is more efficient than the 101 it replaced. Sound quality and/or amplitude may be slightly improved. Check this link.

http://www.porticus.org/bell/telephones-500.html
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

Ben;
I have an early kellogg, can you suggest ways to hook it up. It has no dial, but I want to use it as a kitchen phone answer/listen/talk only.
I have an empty Kellogg ringer box, that I was going to mount below it, with a network, and a dial inside usable for dialing out. I want to open the hinged door, to expose the dial then close it after connecting.
Does that sound too Mickey Mouse, or is there a better set-up. The phone originally is a crank type, with a standard but very earlt (1910 ) type handset.
It's the one I posted awhile back under what is it.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

benhutcherson

Dan,
I'm not totally sure of the wiring of the Kellogg phone you have.

With that said, however, I would suggest tracing some wires, and finding out first of figuring out which wires in the handset cord correspond to the transmitter and receiver. There may be one wire common to both, leading to three wires total, or there may be a separate pair for each. The first would be more likely.

Then, you need to look at the hook switch, and find out which sets of contacts are open with the telephone on-hook. A multimeter can be very helpful.

Once established, I believe that you should be able to roughly follow the wiring scheme of a basic non-dial candlestick, such as you would find here

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/weco/40.pdf

As for the subset, I would suggest putting the base of a 500(or 500 clone) set in the box and wiring as I've suggested here. The only change would be if you wanted to keep the dial, in which case the S-W wire would go to F instead of RR, and the green and blue wires from the dial would go to F and RR.

Dan/Panther

bingster

I had forgotten I had this until Dan posted about his candlestick in another thread.  This may help out with using a 500 base as a subset.   My candlestick (repro) is set up to use a three-conductor mounting cord, but if you use a four-conductor job, then I'd assume you connect the black wire to "K"?  Anyway, everything's been removed from the base but the ringer and network, and this is the way the wires are set up:

= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster;
I've read with great interest your post on hooking up subsets etc.
I want to thank you however for the photo, that most of us Dumbasses out here really need.
Eventually The terminology will soak in, for now the photos are much appreciated.
I find at times, it appears the phone company, made wiring less than logical to prevent people from working on them.

D/P