News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 500 Low volume

Started by Bill Cahill, September 29, 2008, 01:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

Hi, Guys.  This morning I connected a line wire, and, tried my WE 500.
It works, but, Volume through earphone is just acceptable, and, everyone I talk to says my voice sounds a little weak, and, somewhat fuzzy.
What's wrong??
Bill Cahill  ???

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Tony V

Something must be wrong with the phone. Anyone who has chatted with our beloved Mr. Bill on the phone will definately say that he comes through "loud and clear" and if he doesnt he is either sick or the phones broke!  ;D
-Tony

bingster

Bill, one thing you could try:  compare the wiring on your 554 against your 500, and make sure the 500's wiring matches the wiring on the 554.  That would be the easiest thing to check, and it would at least eliminate a wiring problem. 

It's incredibly common to find old phones that have had their wiring tinkered with over the years, and you may have that problem with yours.  If all the wiring checks out, then you may have a more serious problem.
= DARRIN =

Bill Cahill

Thanks. I'll look into that, but, actually, the 554 had been messed with, and, was improperly wired. What a mess it was.....
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

I've read here somewhere that someone posted, "most old phones will work, simply by following a few checks. One was to tap the  transmit, and receive elements, to free up carbon build up. Could that apply here? Or was that just a sick joke to play on Newbies ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

No, it's no joke. Usually packed carbon granulars cause low transmitted volume and freq response. Another words, it can cause one to sound monotone. But Bill says his received volume is poor also.

One other tip you should know. Put the phone on the ground. Run around it five complete circles. Then stand on your left foot only, and yell RICOLA! This will improve ring quality
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Bill Cahill

Tried that three days ago. No good. I also did a double summer sault, yelling  Veronica! , but, also, to no avail.... :D
Bill Cahill

McHeath

First I use "SHAZAM!" a few times.  If no response then I pull out the big gun:

"O Mighty Isis!"

Eye of Newt might work as well.

Bill Cahill

Thanks, guys. I tried the idea of tapping microphone. It helped somewhat. It's slightly louder, but, still slightly fuzzy around the edges.
Bill Cahill

McHeath

Maybe if you switch the transmitter and receiver with known good units.

Bill Cahill

I just started collecting phones, so, my phone, and, parts collection is about zero...
Bill Cahill

bingster

Try switching the elements with the 554's elements. 
= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Bill Cahill on October 07, 2008, 01:45:32 PM
Thanks, guys. I tried the idea of tapping microphone. It helped somewhat. It's slightly louder, but, still slightly fuzzy around the edges.
Bill Cahill

Dan/Panther told me that the real issue is your ears... or between them!  ;D ;D ;D

Bill Cahill

And, you believe a man nick named Dip Pan?????   ;D ;D ;D :D
Dan said it now sounds  mostly clear, though, still a little weak.
Bill Cahill  ;)

Dennis Markham

I think it was covered on a previous posting, but dirty dial contacts and/or switch contacts can cause low volume.  I experienced that problem on a 202.  I had tried everything including switching elements.  Finally I used a Q-tip dipped in alcohol and cleaned the contacts.  I used compressed air afterward to blow away any cotton fibers that may remain.  Also, I have used a fine grit sandpaper to lightly burnish the contact points to clean them.  Sometime when you have some time on your hands give that a try.  It just might be dirty contact points keeping the volume low.