News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring a 191G - Correct #5 dial?

Started by RotarDad, January 02, 2016, 03:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payphone installer

I agree with you it was probably not a field conversion I thought all the pictures were Stans. The phone is still a 180 with a 190 late top after the swing out chute was done away with.

Payphone installer

I have the early chute and swing out bracket if you are interested in returning it to its past.

Payphone installer

Chute is new in the box,swing out bracket includes top hinge which is really hard to find. Thanks

RotarDad

Stan - Thank you very much!  I would be pleased to have that dial plate.  PM sent.
Paul

RotarDad

Payphone Installer - Thank you for your parts offer.  I will keep the upper parts I have, as I am believing my '51 was built the way it sits as a 191.  It is very similar to Stan's '49 191.  The main difference that I can see is that his unpainted metal parts are zinc(?) plated and mine are chromated.  I have a junky '50 191 that has the non-chromated parts as well.  I believe the chromate implies newer manufacture and I don't think those pieces would have been changed out if a 181 were to be converted.  The pieces I'm referring to are the lower plate which holds the relay and the parts underneath where the coin can track mounts and the track itself, in addition to the coil mounting bracket and many screws, etc.   I welcome additional thoughts on this.

I was also interested in your observation on the pile-up having a round top on the spring.  The pile-ups in my '50 and '51 191 both have the round top.  Stan's '49 appears to have the round top also.  I found an Ebay pic of a near-perfect 191 from '54 which looks to have the round top pile-up (this phone has even more chromate on the hookswitch and pile-up).  I had not noticed this difference in pile-ups springs previously.  Thanks for the input!  Again, additional thoughts would be great.
Paul