News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benkeys

Lol.. i have no clue what bulbs look like over in the UK? so i dont notice a difference. It is sad, even more  when the phone is destroyed in the process.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

AE_Collector

Some of our incandescent bulbs have a brighter white inside frosting where as the average one you can still see through the frosting enough to see the filament. The one pictured looks like it could be the whiter frosting.

Terry

TelePlay

Well, daisyba did another one in.

And it can be yours for only $150.00 BIN (plus shipping). Inflation sets in. The last one was only $129 BIN but sold with one bid for $99. Guess because it actually sold, she was encouraged to "create" another and raise the price.

Once again, the seller says "I've scrubbed and cleaned this vintage Automatic Northlake electric rotary phone aqua blue/green and made room for new lighting elements by taking out some parts to give this old phone a new life suitable for any type of decor."

"PLEASE NOTE: This is a vintage phone and has a few nicks, scratches and discolorations. Look closely at each photograph. These factors must play into your buying decision. You are buying character!"

I guess character sells or, the one she sold was purchased by someone as a restoration project?  ::)    . . .  Nah!

http://tinyurl.com/cqnzapf

As an update, this phone today was re-listed for a second time. It didn't sell the first time it was listed, the second time it was listed and now up for a third time. Maybe daisyba will get the message and quit putting these phones through her chop shop. Here's the 2nd re-listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221090007984

twocvbloke

I got told by her that I'm so rude for saying that seeing these phones done up like that is so saddening and makes them worthless as a phone and as spare parts.... ???

I guess people don't like the truth... :D

LarryInMichigan

People must be buying these atrocities, or she wouldn't keep listing them.  Go figure.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

I dread the moment that I see a blue plastic 302 done into one of these :o

AE_Collector

Hmmmm, she's picking on AE sets now!

Seriously, I haven't seen anything from her yet that isn't readily available so, who cares! I wonder how the chrome pipe that the coil cord gets wrapped around is being anchored to the base plate? It has to be pretty secure at that point. Maybe the tube is flattened and bolted to the base plate inside the phone base.

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_collector on July 22, 2012, 12:33:30 PM
I wonder how the chrome pipe that the coil cord gets wrapped around is being anchored to the base plate? It has to be pretty secure at that point. Maybe the tube is flattened and bolted to the base plate inside the phone base.

IMHO, from the picture, it looks like a large hole, the side of the flexible pipe, is drilled into the side of the case and the pipe inserted, say about a half inch, to allow two holes to be drilled through the base and pipe for anchor bolts. Or maybe a half round conduit clamp mounted to the base and then with fasteners holding the pipe to the clamp. The pipe could not be flattened because the seller said the power cords for the bulbs runs inside the pipe. She said the handset cord is not used for powering the bulbs.

AE_Collector

Yes I meant that the pipe goes into the base not under it. I did not think about wiring inside the pipe but that could still be accomplished by drilling a hole into the pipe to insert the wires on the other side of the point where the pipe is flattened and bolted to the base. But of course there are other ways to anchor it as you suggested.

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_collector on July 22, 2012, 07:25:13 PM
I did not think about wiring inside the pipe but that could still be accomplished by drilling a hole into the pipe to insert the wires on the other side of the point where the pipe is flattened and bolted to the base.

Terry

Terry, I thought about that, flattening, then drilling a hole and then protecting the hole so it doesn't fray the power wires, But the seller used "flexible" pipe so the handset could be moved to any position the owner wanted it to be when lit. That type of tubing is hard to flatten and when flat, would be more difficult to mount because it is not a solid pipe. So, I think the best mount would be a strap of some sorts. Or welding.

So, should you or I buy it to find out how it was done?  ;D

Whatever she did, the phone is trash and will never again become a working telephone. Not worth the cost of restoration for that common phone.

AE_Collector

It would be interesting to see how they made it but I would bet that we would be disappointed to see how it was done! It might have been more interesting to make it a real phone with the flex pipe handset. Handsfree set!

Terry

Owain

Here's one I've never seen before. A 1980s BT Special Range Telephone Clipper with a lamp added

Ebay

An unbuggered-about-with one is £70

LarryInMichigan

That arrangement would make the handset a bit difficult to access.

Larry

Owain

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 30, 2012, 06:43:16 PM
That arrangement would make the handset a bit difficult to access.

The phone doesn't work anyway. and the leather dial card is upside-down.

TelePlay

This phone was re-listed today. Maybe daisyba will get the message and quit putting these phones through her chop shop. It's not selling at her asking price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221090007984