News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rude awakening, literally and figuratively.

Started by Greg G., August 09, 2009, 03:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I played tennis for 3 hours in 93 degree heat with a 25 year old  former high school player (I played in high school too, back when Bjorn Borg was a God). We played 4 sets he beat me 6-4, 6-1 , 6-2, and 7-6, but we had to quit because HE couldn't stand the heat (and I'm 47!)

Here's a fun thing to do. I recently got a roll of 50 cent pieces (kennedy halves) and used them in purchases . Three times they knew what they were (all people over 30) and three times they didn't (teens and 20's ).

I know many teens who can't use a rotary phone!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

HobieSport

Quote from: bwanna
For a female the passage from young chick to old dame comes the first time she is addressed as "ma'am". :-\

No wonder that woman in Paris (twenty years ago) seemed so offended when I tried to use the respectable prename of "madame".  I was just trying to speak French and get a hotel room. But evidently I terribly offended her sensibilities.

I don't suppose it would have been better if I had inquired if she had an ugly daughter. Sometimes the logic of women just drives me to like telephones and ducks, just for a little peace of mind.

-Matt

foots

Hobie, you fire up that pit and supply the radio and I'll bring some meat, bratwurst, boudin and beer. That's usually the best way to attract a crowd.
Even though I was still a little kid when we got our first touchtone phone in the 80's, whenever the word "phone" is mentioned, a 500 and 554 automatically comes to mind. My niece, whose 15, was looking at one of my WE 500 phones the other day and I could tell it wasn't a familiar thing to her. She knew how to use it but giggled and commented "it takes forever to dial a number". 
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan on August 11, 2009, 09:28:29 PM

Yeah, my barber has a vintage S/C in his shop, and he told me one time a kid asked to use his phone.  He pointed to the phone, then the kid proceeded to just stick his fingers in the holes w/o rotating the dial.  

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

McHeath

I've heard stories, perhaps apocryphal, about businesses installing rotary phones out where the employees work, like candy shops or such, which cuts down on outgoing calls.  Dunno if that's true, but I could see how it would. 

Dennis Markham

Cool picture Brinybay.  With all those gumballs, a dentist's office would be great next door!

Greg G.

So tonight I just went in and asked for a "senior coffee" and got it.  Gal even told me to hang on to the cup and they'd give me free refills.  F' it, I surrender.  :'(
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HobieSport

Hey Briny, driving the bus all night, you've earned it. :D
-Matt

Dan

I guess we're all old farts, embracing this "rotary phone old school technology" (except that young whipper snapper , Atomic-era Tom-where's that guy been lately?).
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

foots

"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

HobieSport

I think of sending a PM inquiry to Atomic Tom from time to time, as I miss his enthusiasm and appreciation of good old things, but then part of me wants to say "Run...run for your life while you can, young man; don't buy another phone and don't look back!" ...or something to that effect. ;)

I'm guessing he's probably just busy with his sweetheart and cars, as a young man should. 8)
-Matt

McHeath

I sent an e-mail to Tom checking in and seeing what's up, but never heard back.  Hope nothing bad happened to him and he's just out having a fun summer.

Ellen has also been AWOL for a while. 

gpo706

Quote from: Brinybay on August 12, 2009, 04:33:31 AM
Quote from: Dan on August 11, 2009, 09:28:29 PM

Yeah, my barber has a 302 in his shop, and he told me one time a kid asked to use his phone.  He pointed to the 302, then the kid proceeded to just stick his fingers in the holes w/o rotating the dial. 

LOL! My mate (42) brings his 12 year old laddie round during the school holidays, and I shows him all the rotaries on my desk so I say give it a try, and he puts his finger in holes and presses, then we errrr explained how to rotate the dial so he like pushes it one digit to the right and releases!

He got it right 3rd attempt but looked utterly baffled, but quite delighted when he got the speed, finger dial lock sussed.

That was a revelation for me and his dad, trying to stifle our sniggers...

Then he had a go on my linesmans set wired to a 332 CB, I think he got a kick out of "controlling" the bell ring, probably never heard a bell before?
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

McHeath

QuoteI think of sending a PM inquiry to Atomic Tom from time to time, as I miss his enthusiasm and appreciation of good old things, but then part of me wants to say "Run...run for your life while you can, young man; don't buy another phone and don't look back!" ...or something to that effect

Heard from Tom tonight, yep he's just being a busy young man, somewhat less confined by the OldPhoneSyndrome that we geezers seem trapped with. 

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Brinybay on August 14, 2009, 05:16:54 AM
So tonight I just went in and asked for a "senior coffee" and got it.  Gal even told me to hang on to the cup and they'd give me free refills.  F' it, I surrender.  :'(
I understand the advantage to Senior discounts, everyone likes to save a buck, but I don't feel Senior, and usually don't ask.
The other night my favorite restaurant in town, put up a new sign, "Seniors 10% discount."
So I went in,  they had a new item on the menu. Pizza. So I ordered one, and for the first time requested my discount.
Her response.......We don't give discounts on Pizza. Made me feel real stupid, almost like a Senior moment. Never again will I request Senior discount, besides the portions are baby like, and it seems so demeaning, like charity...
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson