News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sorry, but I have to pull the trigger...

Started by Greg G., April 14, 2012, 04:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

When I first joined the forum 3 years ago, I could easily keep up with all the posts, but it's become more popular and I can't keep up with them.  So when it gets to 5 or 6 pages of unread topics, I have to "pull the trigger" and mark them all read.  I try to scan the pages and read the ones that are more interesting and/or if I can help in some way, but if not, I have to clean house.  Not complaining, just sayin'.  Here goes....
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Russ Kirk

Yea,  the same thing happened to me recently.  I was busy for 2-3 weeks.  I did the same,  scanned what might be interesting and marked the rest as read. That's what happens when you're busy.   For me I was on a cruse ship visiting several Hawaiian islands.   
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

AE_Collector

Quote from: Russ Kirk on April 14, 2012, 05:50:28 PM
For me I was on a cruise ship visiting several Hawaiian islands.   

WHAT! I didn't see any Hawaiian Cruise Travel Log postings! Oh, maybe that is why we can't keep up with all the posts, people like me posting about their cruises and travels. We leave on a 19 day cruise in less than two weeks now and I'm getting ready to start an "Off Topic" travel log here like I did last May.

I'm not sure what happens but fairly often the big list of unread posts goes away WITHOUT me having marked them as read. I think if I read some and then leave the rest and come back to the computer the next day they have usually "disappeared". The good thing about that is if someone else adds a post the thread is marked with the "new" button again and if I push it I think it takes me back to the previously unread posts.

Terry

deedubya3800

Quote from: AE_collector on April 14, 2012, 07:30:37 PM
I'm not sure what happens but fairly often the big list of unread posts goes away WITHOUT me having marked them as read. I think if I read some and then leave the rest and come back to the computer the next day they have usually "disappeared". The good thing about that is if someone else adds a post the thread is marked with the "new" button again and if I push it I think it takes me back to the previously unread posts.

Terry

The session times out after a while, even if you don't log out, but I do like that it always remembers the latest post I've read in each thread when someone else adds something. I don't try to read everything. I'm only a casual telephone enthusiast. In fact, I've only added one piece to my collection in the past six months!

AE_Collector

Oh good, so I wasn't imagining the way it seemed to be working for me. That seems best rather than marking threads as "read".

Deedubya, you should put on a "Clinic" here to teach us how to add VERY SLOWLY to our phone collections. Our wives would pay the course fees I'm sure, right Stub?

Terry

stub

Terry,
           Sure :o    I don't have too much of a problem with the unread posts but when it comes to 3 or 4 pics, I don't get to see most of those because of dial up being so slow. I posted 3 pics the other night and took a nap while they uploaded. ;D    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_collector on April 14, 2012, 07:30:37 PM
I'm not sure what happens but fairly often the big list of unread posts goes away WITHOUT me having marked them as read. I think if I read some and then leave the rest and come back to the computer the next day they have usually "disappeared".

Terry,

Just shutting down my wife's laptop to eat dinner and going upstairs to my laptop clears the unread list. Seems as soon as I close out the forum page the unread list goes away. Not everytime but most of the time. And I have my login set up to never time out. Turning off the computer clears the list everytime. So, once I start reading unread posts on one machine, I stay on the machine until I've read everything I wanted to look at and then mark all the rest as read. That way when I go to another computer, everything under the unread link is new.

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub on April 14, 2012, 09:05:02 PM
I posted 3 pics the other night and took a nap while they uploaded. ;D    stub

I noticed that and was actually thinking that you must have gone to cut the grass, change the oil in the car and washed some of the windows while they were uploading. I have 15 meg ADSL and while I'm sure I could live with my old 1.5 and then 3 and then 6 Meg ADSL of the past, I don't think that I could go back to Dial up. can get 25 Meg ADSL for another $7 or so but haven't found that i need that......yet.

Terry

jsowers

There's a link at the bottom of the list "All Unread Topics" that you can click to recapture the posts you didn't read if you just quit.

And Stub, you and I both have the same problem loading and posting pictures on dialup. I do it too. Usually 49.2 or 50K tops. You can definitely take a nap sometimes while the posts with lots of pictures load. Definitely requires patience! But if you think of it, it's perfectly in keeping with our making land lines continue to last. And if you have a laptop like I do, it even works when the power is off.
Jonathan

dsk

A healthy solution  :)
I lady not far from here stopped working because she couldn't be on facebook at work.

We cant get it all, so we have to filter. (more than ever)

dsk

Greg G.

Quote from: d_s_k on April 15, 2012, 07:57:14 AM
A healthy solution  :)
I lady not far from here stopped working because she couldn't be on facebook at work.

dsk

Reminds me of a recent Dilbert strip:

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

McHeath

Ha!  I too used to read every single post every single day.  But then it just sort of grew huge and I couldn't keep up, so now I only pick and choose.  Sad really, a victim of our own success. :'(  But a good thing I think.  Who would have ever thought that a forum on rotary phones would end up a going concern? 

Greg G.

Quote from: McHeath on April 26, 2012, 12:50:53 AM
Ha!  I too used to read every single post every single day.  But then it just sort of grew huge and I couldn't keep up, so now I only pick and choose.  Sad really, a victim of our own success. :'(  But a good thing I think.  Who would have ever thought that a forum on rotary phones would end up a going concern? 

It's a good thing.  Not every post is of interest to everyone.  I used to let it get up to 6 or 7 pages of unread posts, but now if there isn't something interesting and/or I can help with, I'll mark them all even if it's just a handful.
- Mike Row
e