News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pressurized liquid fuel stoves Coleman, Optimus, Primus ++

Started by dsk, October 27, 2017, 04:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Some of us are in to more than phones, as lamps, and i have this Pressurized liquid fuel stoves Coleman, Optimus, Primus    hobby.

To day I have just made my old dual kerosene burner working again.  :D

Why this hobby? When I was a boy, my cousin and I found an old illegal dump, I spotted a box with something I did not recognize so I put it back on my bike and brought it home.  My father told me that is a "Primus" even if that is a make, it is commonly used over her for camp stoves of any kind.  We fired it up, and it was working.  Since then......... :o

An other reason is the Norwegian tradition, most of us has roots in smaller poor farms, and many has got a small cabin in those areas.  For decades the no electricity cabin, and outdoor toilet was the standard.  now it is more rare, but kerosene lamps and transportable stoves for cooking was the rule.

The typical Coleman stove never came over here, so kero, and later propane was what you could find.
We have got Electricity at our cabin, 30 years ago, but still we use propane for cooking. Slightly more expensive than electricity, but less problems with a power out.

Some people tries to call me a prepper, but I guess some stoves and telephones are not enough to be that.  When the power goes down, and our freezer gets hot we will really have problem, prepper's don't.

dsk

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

andre_janew

You have to know something about Transformers to get that one!

twocvbloke

Nice looking stove that, probably not as convenient as the gas things on offer these days, but would outlast them by many years, though technically speaking, it already has... :)

19and41

That's a nice unit.  It looks more domestic than many kerosene fueled stoves.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

This one is made for use in boats, and cabins.  Kerosene is safer in a boat in hence to no heavy gas accumulating in the bottom of the boat if you get a leak.  We have used it in a small cabin in the woods until it started leaking.  I am working on servicing this now, and it seems like the burners also is pretty worn after 50 years of use. (Bought it used 30 years ago)

dsk

Edit: I guess it is OK now, one new burner, and overhauled check valve, the cork packing is now replaced by some Teflon stuff I had. I hope it will last fore some more decades.

TelePlay

The first preppers over here were the boy scouts . . .   ;)

Is that a pressurized tank burner?

AL_as_needed

Nice little camp stove! I am always surprised how long these last considering how simple the parts were made. Today you would never find items like cork in something that held pressurized fuel.
TWinbrook7

dsk

Coleman made nice stuff as long as they made it in the USA and Canada, less impressed about later products. Gasoline (and white gas) was prohibited for stoves here up to 1990-something. Kerosene was the big thing, and gas was dangerous!  I have some Coleman stoves, and when it comes to reliability they are pretty good, for camping use the 550B is my favorite together with the Apex stove. Among the bigger ones the dual burner the 413E is the most powerful and usable one I know, but among the dual burners there are only small differences so is it made in the USA or Canada it is probably a great stove.

Many people argues for butane and propane, they are easier to use! Yes they are!  8)  But they are not my hobby, I do not spot that charm!    ;)

dsk

Payphone installer

Nothing stupid about being prepared I built my payphone collection building to work on solar power which it does and very well. There is a shortwave radio under the steps and I can run a deep freeze on the power plus anything else I want to run. In my mind thinking everything stays the same is crazy,all you have to do is read history. At some point some crazy country will launch a bad weapon at that point all bids are off. Some folks say so we are  all gone at that point,well maybe but who really knows. I tend to operate on the backup system like the batteries in the central office at the phone company. So I got the batteries.

AL_as_needed

Well even on a much smaller scale, most people dont think to have a basic first aid kit in their car, nor the knowledge of how to use it.... Nothing wrong with having a few back-ups on hand for when things become less than ideal.
TWinbrook7