stub

Anybody know anything about Idealfone by Automatic Electric.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

One more . This ringer is marked DC .    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

GG

Almost certainly an intercom, because:

a)  No space for dial or conventional dial blank or telephone number.  Instead there is a rectangular plate with a single pressbutton in the center, which is one of the typical defining characteristics of intercoms.

b)  The size and form factor are also typical of intercoms, specifically those used in school classrooms and similar settings.

c)  There are little openings down near the transmitter, which would almost certainly be there for the purpose of letting sound escape; however there is not space in the base for a ringer, so we can reasonably assume a buzzer instead, which is also defining of intercoms.

d)  The mounting screws for the main housing are accessible from the top of the unit and the cradle appears to be "two-way" such that it can work for both desk and wall mounting; these points are also typical of intercoms.

e)  Transmitter cover is not the typical AE 34 handset "horn," but instead is the design more often found in Belgian AE (ATEA), indicating possible foreign manufacture (ATEA) and import into the US, thus not part of AE's regular product line. 

If this is correct, and this is an intercom, it would have been associated with a switchboard having keys or jacks for each station line, and a similar handset. 

As for compatibility, any single line set with a single pressbutton could be wired up with a buzzer and made to operate as the other end of this one.

As for rarity, I've never seen one before and I've been mucking about with AE materiel since I was 15, so I'd call it rare (until someone else here says they have a batch of fifty or a hundred stashed in their attic looking for something to do.

stub

GG,
      It came with a 32A14 handset . The same as the AE 32 desk telephone.
      The other intercom I have posted earlier has the same handset ,32A14 . I wonder why they used these handsets in the intercoms. AE Catalog 4055 , pg 14- 15, show the handsets on several telephones.  Thanks,  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

I've never heard of it or seen one Ken but it sure is "AE" according to the numbering on the back! I would say intercom as well but I always associate DC buzzers with Intercom systems.

AE had all the "Real Phones" (almost "Toy Phones") constantly seen on ebaY so "Ideal Phone" sounds like part of the same line up.

Terry

stub

Terry,
         Any ideal why they used the 32A14 handset. This handset was a phone by it's self, just like the AE 32, minus the ringer. Some of the other telephone used the same receiver and transmitter but used a 205 ohm resistor.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

GG

Aha!, enough space in the housing for a DC bell. 

It's an intercom, and it's probably a substation to the 5-button "master" you posted in the other topic. 

I take it the 32A14 handset has the induction coil receiver, which from what I read here, eliminates the need for an induction coil in the base. 

I've seen that transmitter cover on Belgian AE (ATEA) handsets, and the transmitter you posted pictures of looks very European to me, so all of that is convergent. 

As for "why," using that handset enabled AE to use a more compact base assembly, and that may have been sufficient motivation. 

You know what the difference was between RealPhones and IdealPhones, right?

They were both used as intercoms in universities.

RealPhones were installed in the physical sciences & engineering departments.

IdealPhones were installed in the philosophy & social sciences departments.

Ta-dum! :-)

stub

GG- Thanks

Terry- thanks      stub
Kenneth Stubblefield