News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Keystone Candlestick Telephone

Started by FRParker, January 05, 2019, 06:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

All black 500 sets had a metal finger wheel until the #7 dial was phased out in 1965.  All color 500s had an open-center plastic wheel, again until the #7 dial was replaced with #9 dial in '65.  The only exception on black sets with #7 dial was the "mushroom" lighted-dial sets which all had the plastic wheel, even if black.  In '65, all sets started receiving the one-piece plastic wheel on a #9 dial.   Of course, refurb sets are found in many different configurations.
Paul

RB

Agree on the mag box, with a bit of tinkering, and an inline cap, I bet you could get it to ring when handle cranked,"just for effect"
and the bell may live on a CB line, with a little tinkering, and would ring on an incoming call.???
a mini network should live in the box too, and complete the phone.
A new receiver,"that one don't look to good", and maybe a transmitter??? and you would have a real cool phone/battering ram. lol

FRParker

Where should I get the receiver innards from?  I'm sure they're somewhere online, but do I have to buy a specific one?  It seems that most tech from that day could be more or less interchanged due to the closeness of their specs.  Also, do the number of cords look correct coming out of the earpiece? Should there be two or four?

The Model 500 telephone has a network box from 9-55.  However the metal base and one other component say 9-56.  The base has no crimson date, but rather a white date printed on it.  I am very confused.

Also, I have been literally salivating over the idea of building an intercom out of these old telephones.  I have been building this wacky design in my mind on how I could get the lines to isolate using relay switches (if that would even work) and still hook up this entire system to the outside network.

I have no formal experience in anything like building a closed circuit telephone network with outside network connectivity, so everything that I said in the above paragraph could be completely harebrained and illogical.  It is still fun to think about, however.

RB

Welcome Forrest.
He He...I am with you on that. Made my old phones talk to the new ones, and I can place a LOCAL Batt call to the switchboard, be connected to an outside line, and have a number dialed for me... but I digress.
Receiver innards can prob be had from OLDPHONEGUY. If not, there are a few others around who do have repops, cords, caps... even orig stuff.
And yes, parts can be borrowed from other mfgs, IN SOME CASES, your info is correct.
Rec has a 2 wire cord. Which are also available.
I have done what you contemplate myself with good success. my magneto phones all call a home built switchboard, which has a circuit and dial patched into a 616 pbx.
The members here are very knowledgeable , and I believe some like to experiment as much as I do, and they have helped me accomplish my goals.
There are schematics available here for many phones, so you can identify whatcha got, and how they connect to the line. And what constitutes a line.
Then fire off a few questions here, "include lots of pics",  and folks will help you solve issues, and get them doin what they are supposed to do.
And while your doin that, there are a few schematics made by some awesome folks to help you connect it all together.
Ok, the hook is set...Onward solder!!! Enjoy and keep the pics coming! :)

rdelius

I can post a photo of the receiver on my Keystone/Am Elec stick.

FRParker

I'd love to see it.  Could you post photos of the internal receiver assembly if it's not too much trouble?

rdelius

I do not know if this insert is correct. I looks very much like the earlier WE one .

FRParker

Sorry folks for not being able to get back to you all.  Life got in the way of things.  That insert looks to be too long.  Either that or my receiver tail is broken off, though it doesn't look to be that way.  I'll have to try and find a new insert and save myself the trouble of fixing that one.  It doesn't seem to even have all the parts.  I'll look around for one online.  In the meantime, I'll work on a method of building an intercom system with it while also linking to the outside network.  I'll post the ideas here when I have a good chunk of it done.  I have semester exams coming up, so wish me luck.
Thanks

rdelius

I mentioned that my rec insert might not be correct . Most will interchange except SC and Kellogg