News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Single vs party line ringers ID

Started by m1898, December 09, 2011, 07:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m1898

Another newbie question. Could anyone tell me how you identify a single line ringer from a party line ringer on WD rotary phones? I checked the posts and I am still confused. Thanks.
"Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day"

Bill

There are many ringers, of course. The B-type ringer (two coils) is a common one. I know that a B-1A (the single party version) has two wires, and the B-2A (party line version) has 4 wires. If you connect the slate and red/slate wires of a B-2 ringer together, it is identical to a B-1 ringer. I don't know if this convention works with other ringers, but it might.

Bill

rdelius

On more modern telephones,the volume on SL ringers are often adjustable.SL ringers uasually have bias springs to hold the clapper rod in place.Not seen on freq ringers.
Robby

HarrySmith

I agree with the bias spring, I do not recall ever seeing one on a frequency ringer. The other thing I have observed is the frequency ringers have a thicker rod and bigger clapper, also a lot of the clappers are adjustable which I have not seen on a SL ringer. Not meant to be taken as a statement of fact, just observations from my limited experience  ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

GG

Simple test for SL vs. frequency ringer:

Flick the bell clapper with your finger.

If it comes to rest right next to either bell gong, it's a straight-line (SL) ringer.

If it comes to rest in the middle between the two bell gongs, with a decreasing wiggle as it does so, it's a frequency ringer.

The exception is North Electric "500" sets.  On those, the SL ringers have a spiral spring that holds the clapper into position in the middle of the two bell gongs, so it will behave as if it's a frequency ringer in the above test. 

However once you've seen enough frequency ringers, you'll know the difference between the "reed" that is used as a pivot on them, and the "hinge" or "pin" that's used as a pivot on the SL ringers.   And you'll recognize that the bell clapper with a tiny screw in it, that can be slid back and forth on the clapper arm, is a characteristic of frequency ringers, and that a particularly large clapper is a definitive sign. 

Any of us who have been at this a while can look at a photo of a ringer and tell instantly whether it's SL or frequency. 

Fortunately, someone around here (whose userID should become the name of this technique) found that you can "nibble" the reeds on frequency ringers, to make them behave properly with 20-Hz. straight-line ringing current.  This no doubt will save a few tons of frequency ringers from the proverbial dustbin of history, as they can now be used successfully, even if their ringing volume is quieter than comparable SL ringers (which in any case is a benefit for phones in quiet rooms).  (AE and Stromberg-Carlson SL ringers in particular are loud enough to be heard from across the farm, and usually require some tweaking to quiet them down enough to be satisfactory in a city or suburban house or apartment.)