News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1949 302 just restored

Started by HarrySmith, March 19, 2014, 08:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I have not heard back from the buyer about the cord yet. He is supposed to pick it up tomorrow. I was going to email him tonight and STRONGLY recommend the coiled cord!

Yes, I always keep the dial cards for my phones. That is why I put the Bell logo on it.

I have the cord from the handset here somewhere and I might even have the cut off line cord, I am off work tomorrow, I will check to see if I can read the dates. The date on the dial is pretty smudged but I thought it might be 1953. I am not selling it as a date matching original phone anyway so I am not all that concerned with it. If it was all original & dates matching I would be getting more money for it!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

There's no way I'd put a NOS Western Electric H3C cloth handset cord on a mixed date phone for resale. Even finding a good used cloth handset cord on an as is 302 is about one in a hundred.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

I do not think it is a H3C cord, I did not check the number or date on it. The F1W handsets I got from Steve are military surplus, of course, and have the double prong switchboard plug on them. I had to extend the red wire to reach the coil. I also had to cut open the small eyelets from the plug end to put them on the handset screws.

The rubber cords I removed from it are:
Handset = H3AG dated 56
Line = D3AY dated 54
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

It appears that the 1949 302 was either repaired or refurbished c. 1956.

If you have a handset cord where the red wire is too short for a 302, you can always just connect the red lead to R on the dial and move the slate-red jumper from L1 to R of the induction coil. This is equivalent to a 202 wired to a subset. The only difference is you are no longer shorting the primary of the induction coil when dialing, but this 22 ohms difference compared to a 0 ohm short won't matter.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

Finally convinced him to go with the coiled cord. Switched it out tonight.
Picture below along with picture of the modified H4U cord I had installed, dated III-56.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"