News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 520 explosive atmosphere phone didn't survive UPS. A bent issue...

Started by shortrackskater, December 21, 2019, 06:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortrackskater

This phone was packaged marginally. It would have made it to me but was dropped somewhere along the way. And of course it fell right on the hookset, bending the right side. I know on a payphone, this part would have just snapped off or would if there was an attempt to bend it back.
But this hookset metal should be sturdier metal, not pot metal.
Can I just carefully use my mallet and whack it back? I don't have a torch. I do have a good quality heat gun. Should I heat it, then carefully whack?
I didn't get into the phone yet, need a key still but I will be able to get it open and see if I can remove the hookset and use the vice?
Any thoughts/comments?
Mark J.

HarrySmith

I thought they were damage proof besides explosion proof! Guess not. I got mine in a large flat rate box with no packing and it survived fine. You may be able to straighten it. Definetly heat it as best you can before trying to bend it. Even if it breaks you will not be any worse off.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

countryman

I'd hit it with a pipe wrench and a leather pad to avoid scratches and either had luck or not. But that's just me.
i'm not sure if heat will help, it will depend on the material? Steel will soften long before it melts, some aluminium or zinc alloys just do nothing and then melt all of a sudden.
But you would burn off all the paint that way. Warming it a little with a heat gun to 120 °C or so would not hurt, but probably not help much either.

Good luck!

dsk

It isn ot totally explotion prrof, becaus I would have exploded when I discovered that!  >:(

I really hope you are able to solve it, could it be brass?
dsk

Jim Stettler

These are sealed so dust and gas are isolated from any sparks.

It is my understanding that you have an inside dial and an outside dial, The outside dial operates the inner dial.
I would like to see some photos of the dial transfer mechanism.
I think it is the same or similar part that I need for a dial demonstrator.
Thanks,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

shortrackskater

Thanks everyone! I"ll try heating with my heat gun just for the hell of it.
Before I start anything though, I did put in a claim with UPS since the box definitely was dropped. I sent them two photos but the form implies that they may visit me to inspect the package so the phone's just SITTING in the box "patiently" for the response. I REALLY want to play with it!!!  >:(
When all this is resolved I'll take some photos of the dial mechanism.
Mark J.

HarrySmith

Quote from: Jim Stettler on December 23, 2019, 10:05:39 AM
These are sealed so dust and gas are isolated from any sparks.

It is my understanding that you have an inside dial and an outside dial, The outside dial operates the inner dial.
I think it is the same or similar part that I need for a dial demonstrator.
Thanks,
Jim

I have not taken mine apart but from what I understand there is a rod from the outer dial that turns the inner dial. If it is accessable I will see about getting some pictures.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan/Panther

The cradle appears to be brass, or maybe even beryllium, that is what our tools  were made out of when I worked in a highly volatile chemical area. Maybe you can remove the cradle and heat it to reshape it. Or have someone do it for you.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

shortrackskater

I just poked around and found a manual on the TCI library site...
So, maybe the heat gun and gentle mallet?  :-\
Mark J.

Babybearjs

John

paul-f

Quote from: Jim Stettler on December 23, 2019, 10:05:39 AM

Jim,

There are a few photos here: http://www.paul-f.com/we520.htm
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Payphone installer

I bend payphone two piece hooks hooks back by rolling a hammer handle inside the fork moving it to a Thicker part of the handle as I go.works every time. Never heat them it weakens them. If you haven't got it repaired cut a piece of wood like a wedge and drive it in and bend it back.

shortrackskater

Thanks everyone for the input again.  :)
STILL waiting on a reply from UPS. It's been many days. I guess they're still celebrating Christmas. I hope they fired all their cheap "random man" contract labor using personal vehicles to drop deliver packages.  :-*
Mark J.